Skip to main content

Harrison ready to hang up his gloves after being knocked



Audley Harrison admitted the end may finally be nigh after he was stopped by knockout artist Deontay Wilder inside 70 seconds in Sheffield on Saturday night.

The London heavyweight's latest comeback ended in farcical scenes reminiscent of his defeat to David Price last year.

The 41-year-old accepted that his world title dream is over and it could be time to hang up his gloves.



Furious: American Deontay Wilder gave Audley Harrison a barage of punches





Flurry: Once Harrison was down there was no stopping Wilder who kept coming

Harrison said: 'I think this time it is probably the end.

'There are only so many times I go knocking on doors. I've smashed those doors down in the past and shown tremendous fortitude.

'But this comeback took everything I had and I've been knocked out in the first round again.

'I will go away and think about it and talk to my family, but I don't know if I can put myself through it, or put my family through it.

'I have to accept that age the age of 41 I'm not going to get many more chances, but if it is the end I can be proud of what I've done, winning the Olympic title and the European title.

'I always said if I prepared right and came in for a fight fully focused and I was beaten then that would be it. I fought a guy with 27 knockout wins and I became number 28.

'I will go away and think about it but I think it is probably the end.'




Finished: Harrison didn't understand the decision to stop the fight so soon

Harrison looked to be heading for retirement when he was blasted out in just 82 seconds by Price last October but returned to the ring in February to win his second Prizefighter tournament at London's York Hall.

His opponents that night - Derric Rossy, Martin Rogan and Claus Bertino - looked a long way short of world class but Harrison insisted that even at his advanced age, he could still reach the pinnacle of the sport.

Having won gold at the 2000 Olympic Games in Sydney, he was crowned European champion three years ago but has consistently fallen short at the highest level and lost to David Haye in a world title challenge in 2010 having barely thrown a punch.

Wilder meanwhile had raced to a record 27 stoppage victories from as many contests since turning professional on the back of a bronze medal at the 2008 Beijing Olympics.

The 27-year-old from Alabama has been criticised for his apparently padded record but only eight of his previous opponents had losing records.

His victory over Harrison will have done little to alter that perception as he plots a route to the top of the division.



Up and down: The careers of Wilder and Harrison are set to go in completely different directions

The American was given a hostile reception by the crowd as he entered the ring but had won them over just a few minutes later.

After a slow start in which neither fighter made an impact, Wilder looked to let go with his right hand and as if on cue, Harrison slumped down by the corner.

He struggled to get up as the count sounded and the contest was waved off by the referee.

'I got up, I beat the count. I wanted to continue - 100 per cent,' Harrison said. 'I had my senses about me and I was still in the fight.'It's looking like the end.'

Popular posts from this blog

Study Abroad USA, College of Charleston, Popular Courses, Alumni

Thinking for Study Abroad USA. School of Charleston, the wonderful grounds is situated in the actual middle of a verifiable city - Charleston. Get snatched up by the wonderful and customary engineering, beautiful pathways, or look at the advanced steel and glass building which houses the School of Business. The grounds additionally gives students simple admittance to a few major tech organizations like Amazon's CreateSpace, Google, TwitPic, and so on. The school offers students nearby as well as off-grounds convenience going from completely outfitted home lobbies to memorable homes. It is prepared to offer different types of assistance and facilities like clubs, associations, sporting exercises, support administrations, etc. To put it plainly, the school grounds is rising with energy and there will never be a dull second for students at the College of Charleston. Concentrate on Abroad USA is improving and remunerating for your future. The energetic grounds likewise houses various

Best MBA Online Colleges in the USA

“Opportunities never open, instead we create them for us”. Beginning with this amazing saying, let’s unbox today’s knowledge. Love Business and marketing? Want to make a high-paid career in business administration? Well, if yes, then mate, we have got you something amazing to do!   We all imagine an effortless future with a cozy house and a laptop. Well, well! You can make this happen. Today, with this guide, we will be exploring some of the top-notch online MBA universities and institutes in the USA. Let’s get started! Why learn Online MBA from the USA? Access to More Options This online era has given a second chance to children who want to reflect on their careers while managing their hectic schedules. In this, the internet has played a very crucial in rejuvenating schools, institutes, and colleges to give the best education to students across the globe. Graduating with Less Debt Regular classes from high reputed institutes often charge heavy tuition fees. However onl

Sickening moment maskless 'Karen' COUGHS in the face of grocery store customer, then claims she doesn't have to wear a mask because she 'isn't sick'

A woman was captured on camera following a customer through a supermarket as she coughs on her after claiming she does not need a mask because she is not sick.  Video of the incident, which has garnered hundreds of thousands of views on Twitter alone, allegedly took place in a Su per Saver in Lincoln, Nebraska according to Twitter user @davenewworld_2. In it, an unidentified woman was captured dramatically coughing as she smiles saying 'Excuse me! I'm coming through' in the direction of the customer recording her. Scroll down for video An unidentified woman was captured dramatically coughing as she smiles saying 'Excuse me! I'm coming through' in the direction of a woman recording her A woman was captured on camera following a customer as she coughs on her in a supermarket without a mask on claiming she does not need one because she is not sick @chaiteabugz #karen #covid #karens #karensgonewild #karensalert #masks we were just wearing a mask at the store. ¿ o