Skip to main content

Australian tennis ace Ash Barty is SLAMMED for a Covid rule breach – but she insists there's a simple explanation

Australian tennis ace Ash Barty has been slammed for breaching a basic Covid rule - but is adamant it was an 'innocent mistake.'

The world number one acknowledged she 'has to be better' after forgetting to wear a face mask in a Melbourne supermarket.

Barty, 24, was buying watermelon on Thursday sans a mask when she ran into Sky News reporter Andrea Crothers who promptly tweeted about the incident.

'I apologised as soon as I realised my mistake,' Barty said.

Barty (pictured above) entered a Coles supermarket to pick up a watermelon minus a mask

The tweet (pictured above) after a Sky News reporter ran into Ash Barty in a supermarket not wearing a face mask

The tweet (pictured above) after a Sky News reporter ran into Ash Barty in a supermarket not wearing a face mask

'I understand we all need to do our bit to keep the community safe and I will be better next time.'

After opting to skip most of last year's circuit during the pandemic, Barty looms as a genuine title threat at Melbourne Park.  

In 2020, she was a semi-finalist, losing to eventual women's champion Sofia Kenin. 

Barty is set to feature at next Friday's Adelaide exhibition event alongside the likes of Serena Williams, world number two Simona Halep and Japan's Naomi Osaka. 

Her last competitive match was last February in Qatar, leaving Barty excited to return to on-court action.

'We are so lucky in Australia to have a home grand slam; the support of the Australian fans means the world to me and I always want to do well here,' she said.

'I understand this year will be different in many respects but I hope I can do the local fans proud.

'The circumstances around this year's event are definitely challenging and I understand the frustration of all the players who have had to quarantine.

'But keeping Melburnians safe and making sure we put health first has to be the priority.'

Ash Barty will be one of the favourites to win the Australian Open starting on February 8 at Melbourne Park

Ash Barty will be one of the favourites to win the Australian Open starting on February 8 at Melbourne Park 

Tennis world number one Ash Barty (pictured right) has vowed to 'be better' after she was busted not wearing a face mask in a Melbourne supermarket

Tennis world number one Ash Barty (pictured right) has vowed to 'be better' after she was busted not wearing a face mask in a Melbourne supermarket

Meanwhile, Spanish tennis player Paula Badosa has tested positive to Covid-19.

The world No.67, announced on Twitter that she is the latest person associated with the Australian Open to test positive to coronavirus.

The 23-year-old had previously complained about the tough restrictions on players, brought in after others tested positive on three charter flights to Melbourne.

Badosa's positive test result comes after she complained about being forced into hard hotel quarantine.

She was among 72 players confined to their Melbourne hotels after passengers on their charter flights - from Abu Dhabi, Doha and Los Angeles - tested positive to coronavirus.

Spanish women's tennis star Paula Badosa (pictured above) has tested positive to Covid-19

Spanish women's tennis star Paula Badosa (pictured above) has tested positive to Covid-19 

Badosa (pictured above) now faces an uphill battle to be fighting fit for the first round of the Australian Open on February 8

Badosa (pictured above) now faces an uphill battle to be fighting fit for the first round of the Australian Open on February 8

A number of players in Melbourne have taken to social media to complain about their hotel facilities and inability to train properly ahead of the Grand Slam compared to the big guns in South Australia.

The likes of world No.1 Novak Djokovic, Rafael Nadal, Serena Williams and Naomi Osaka have been photographed enjoying the sun on the balconies, while they were able to bring much larger entourages to Australia.

They will play an exhibition tournament in Adelaide on January 31.

Djokovic denied that he had issued a list of 'demands' about quarantine conditions in Melbourne, claiming instead that they were simply suggestions to help his fellow competitors.

Djokovic was slammed as entitled after calling on Tennis Australia CEO Craig Tiley to soften restrictions on players in hard lockdown. He wanted to see others provided with private housing with tennis courts on site.

Men's world number one tennis player Novak Djokovic (pictured above) smiles at fans from a hotel balcony in Adelaide, South Australia

Men's world number one tennis player Novak Djokovic (pictured above) smiles at fans from a hotel balcony in Adelaide, South Australia

Djokovic was slammed as 'entitled' after calling on Tennis Australia CEO Craig Tiley to soften restrictions on players in hard lockdown

Djokovic was slammed as 'entitled' after calling on Tennis Australia CEO Craig Tiley to soften restrictions on players in hard lockdown

The 33-year-old defended himself on Wednesday, arguing he had good intentions and wanted to use his 'privilege' to help other competitors who are unable to practice.

'My good intentions for my fellow competitors in Melbourne have been misconstrued as being selfish, difficult, and ungrateful. This couldn't be farther from the truth,' he wrote in an impassioned Instagram post.

In his statement, Djokovic said he 'genuinely cares' about and wants to help his fellow players.

'It is very difficult for me to be a mere onlooker knowing how much every help, gesture, and good word mattered when I was small and insignificant in the world pecking order,' he wrote.

'Hence I use my position of privilege to be of service as much as I can where and when needed.'

NOVAK DJOKOVIC'S OPEN LETTER TO AUSTRALIA IN FULL

Australia,

In light of recent media and social media criticism for my letter to Craig Tiley (Tournament director of the Australian Open), I would like to clarify a few things.

My good intentions for my fellow competitors in Melbourne have been misconstrued as being selfish, difficult, and ungrateful. This couldn't be farther from the truth.

Not every act is taken at its face value and at times when I see the aftermath of things, I do tend to ask myself if I should just sit back and enjoy my benefits instead of paying attention to other people's struggles. However, I always choose to do something and be of service despite the challenging consequences and misunderstandings.

I genuinely care about my fellow players and I also understand very well how the world is run and who gets bigger and better and why. I've earned my privileges the hard way, and for that reason, it is very difficult for me to be a mere onlooker knowing how much every help, gesture, and good word mattered when I was small and insignificant in the world pecking order. Hence I use my position of privilege to be of service as much as I can where and when needed.

I have always had a very good relationship with Craig, and I respect and appreciate all the effort he puts into making the Australian Open a place to look forward to coming back to each year.

In our email exchange I used an opportunity to brainstorm about potential improvements that could be made to the quarantine of players in Melbourne that were in full lockdown.

There were a few suggestions and ideas that I gathered from other players from our chat group and there was no harm intended to try and help. I was aware that the chances were low that any of our suggestions would be accepted, just like my request to quarantine with my team in Melbourne instead of Adelaide, was denied prior to our travel because of strict government regulations.

Since I couldn't be with other players in Melbourne, I made myself available to them if needed.

I understand that organising international sporting events during a pandemic poses health risks to the local community and to the players themselves. Therefore, I would like to express my full gratitude to Tennis Australia, the Australian government and local citizens for being willing to take this risk with us for the love of the game and the multiple opportunities it brings to the economy of the country and its people.

We are honoured, and we will all do our best to follow the guidelines and protocols put in place. We do hope that we will be able to nurture our bodies and be ready for the mental and physical endurance and strength tests that are ahead of us once the competition starts.

Things in the media escalated and there was a general impression that the players (including myself) are ungrateful, weak, and selfish because of their unpleasant feelings in quarantine.

I am very sorry that is has come to that because I do know how grateful many are. We all came to Australia to compete. Not being able to train and prepare before the tournament starts is really not easy. None of us ever questioned 14 days of quarantine despite what is being said by media outlets.

I am very much looking forward to playing in front of the people and joining the tennis frenzy and energy of the city that has always carried me towards many victories. I am also looking forward to seeing all my fellow players together in Melbourne. I am blown away by the numerous messages of gratitude and love that I have received during these past few days.

Wishing you all health and love,

Novak

Popular posts from this blog

Study Abroad USA, College of Charleston, Popular Courses, Alumni

Thinking for Study Abroad USA. School of Charleston, the wonderful grounds is situated in the actual middle of a verifiable city - Charleston. Get snatched up by the wonderful and customary engineering, beautiful pathways, or look at the advanced steel and glass building which houses the School of Business. The grounds additionally gives students simple admittance to a few major tech organizations like Amazon's CreateSpace, Google, TwitPic, and so on. The school offers students nearby as well as off-grounds convenience going from completely outfitted home lobbies to memorable homes. It is prepared to offer different types of assistance and facilities like clubs, associations, sporting exercises, support administrations, etc. To put it plainly, the school grounds is rising with energy and there will never be a dull second for students at the College of Charleston. Concentrate on Abroad USA is improving and remunerating for your future. The energetic grounds likewise houses various

Best MBA Online Colleges in the USA

“Opportunities never open, instead we create them for us”. Beginning with this amazing saying, let’s unbox today’s knowledge. Love Business and marketing? Want to make a high-paid career in business administration? Well, if yes, then mate, we have got you something amazing to do!   We all imagine an effortless future with a cozy house and a laptop. Well, well! You can make this happen. Today, with this guide, we will be exploring some of the top-notch online MBA universities and institutes in the USA. Let’s get started! Why learn Online MBA from the USA? Access to More Options This online era has given a second chance to children who want to reflect on their careers while managing their hectic schedules. In this, the internet has played a very crucial in rejuvenating schools, institutes, and colleges to give the best education to students across the globe. Graduating with Less Debt Regular classes from high reputed institutes often charge heavy tuition fees. However onl

Sickening moment maskless 'Karen' COUGHS in the face of grocery store customer, then claims she doesn't have to wear a mask because she 'isn't sick'

A woman was captured on camera following a customer through a supermarket as she coughs on her after claiming she does not need a mask because she is not sick.  Video of the incident, which has garnered hundreds of thousands of views on Twitter alone, allegedly took place in a Su per Saver in Lincoln, Nebraska according to Twitter user @davenewworld_2. In it, an unidentified woman was captured dramatically coughing as she smiles saying 'Excuse me! I'm coming through' in the direction of the customer recording her. Scroll down for video An unidentified woman was captured dramatically coughing as she smiles saying 'Excuse me! I'm coming through' in the direction of a woman recording her A woman was captured on camera following a customer as she coughs on her in a supermarket without a mask on claiming she does not need one because she is not sick @chaiteabugz #karen #covid #karens #karensgonewild #karensalert #masks we were just wearing a mask at the store. ¿ o