Skip to main content

Retired MLB All-Star Omar Vizquel, 53, is accused of domestic violence by his estranged wife, 36, but he denies the allegations and admits to infidelities

Retired Cleveland Indians shortstop Omar Vizquel has been accused of domestic violence by his estranged wife, who says he was violent with her on several occasions both before and after they were married in 2014.

The 36-year-old Blanca Garcia Vizquel told The Athletic that 53-year-old Omar abused her in 2011 and again in 2016. She claims she finally left him after an argument in August when she feared for her safety.

She made similar claims on Instagram Live in October, telling her followers in Spanish that if she 'had stayed with , he would have killed because he spoke about buying a firearm to have it in the room.'

Vizquel, a native of Venezuela, denied the claims in a statement given to DailyMail.com. 

'Let me be clear and unequivocal,' Vizquel said. 'I have never hit or been violent towards my wife, Blanca.'  

He went on to admit that his own 'infidelities' put a strain on their marriage.

Retired Cleveland Indians shortstop Omar Vizquel has been accused of domestic violence by his estranged wife, who says he was violent with her on several occasions both before and after they were married in 2014The 36-year-old Blanca Vizquel told The Athletic that 53-year-old Omar abused her in 2011 and again in 2016. She claims she finally left him after an argument in August

Retired Indians shortstop Omar Vizquel has been accused of domestic violence by his estranged wife, who says he was violent with her on several occasions both before and after they were married in 2014. The 36-year-old Blanca Vizquel told The Athletic that Omar abused her in 2011 and again in 2016. She claims she finally left him after an argument in August

Following the August dispute, Blanca told The Athletic, she drove ten hours with her Boston terrier from the couple's Arizona home to a women's shelter in Texas.

'I made a decision to leave the house and not come back,' Blanca told The Athletic. 'I didn't want to feel that feeling where you didn't know if you're gonna be safe.' 

In response, she claims, Omar Vizquel took her name off their bank accounts and froze her credit cards, leaving her unemployed and without the ability to support herself.

Blanca previously accused Vizquel of several forms of abuse in October on social media. 

'I would like to confess that I, Blanca Vizquel, still Vizquel's wife, was the victim of domestic violence, beatings, physical domestic violence, emotional abuse, psychological abuse, even economic abuse,' she said in Spanish on Instagram Live. 

'I know a lot of people are going to connect here are fans of my ex-spouse,' she continued. 'Yes, Mr. Omar Vizquel was the abuser who abused me over 1,500 ways, in all ways, in all possible ways: physical, sexual, emotional, psychological. All aspects. ' 

Some of the allegations were known publicly.  

In 2016, Omar Vizquel was taken into custody by Seattle police after Bianca told officers he had pushed her during an argument, but later wrote a letter seeking to drop charges. She told The Athletic that her husband coerced her into signing the letter.

Other alleged incidents took place before the couple married in 2014.  

In 2011, for instance, Omar Vizquel allegedly began to strangle his future wife, but both parties accepted blame and told police they did not want to pursue charges.   

STATEMENT FROM OMAR VIZQUEL 

The following statement was provided to DailyMail.com by a spokesman for Omar Vizquel:

'Since the initiation of divorce proceedings with my wife, Blanca Garcia, she has taken to social media and the press to engage in a smear campaign against me designed to put pressure on the legal negotiations. 

'In doing so, she seeks to portray me as someone that I am not. Throughout this unfortunate situation, I have been limited in my public statements, because I don't believe that a public media battle is the way to proceed in the dissolution of our marriage. However, I must set the record straight again in light of today's article in The Athletic.

'Let me be clear and unequivocal. I have never hit or been violent towards my wife, Blanca. Any accusation to the contrary is false. The two incidents described in The Athletic, one in Alabama in 2011 and another in Washington state in 2016, date back years ago and were either dismissed or closed. Blanca herself asked for the dismissal of the Washington case and both of us asserted to Alabama authorities that the 2011 incident was a verbal dispute over differences in our relationship.

'Furthermore, I have never asked anyone, to remain silent or lie about problems in our relationship. As I have done in the past, I will continue to cooperate with Major League Baseball, on any investigation into these matters.

'It is evident that my marriage to Blanca was not perfect. It was at times tumultuous and difficult. This was due in part to my infidelities which often resulted in verbal disputes among us and am sorry for the pain my indiscretions may have caused. Despite this, I made a good faith effort to improve our relationship, including attending extensive marriage therapy sessions during our time together.

'I have always been supportive of Blanca's professional aspirations, and helpful to her personal struggles, since the moment I met her in 2010 and throughout our marriage. I supported the myriad of professional training courses she took during our marriage. I also guided and accompanied her through multiple visits to her doctors for treatment of her mental health condition that has affected her since before I met her. Her family was always welcomed in our home. In fact, her mother lived with us, and her extended family spent long periods of time residing in our home, including her sister and niece; the same sister who now falsely accuses me of violence against Blanca.

'I never expected this divorce proceeding to play out in public, but I will continue to defend myself and my name against these false accusations. Our divorce should be settled in a court of law, not in the court of public opinion.'

 

Vizquel retired following the 2012 season and is in his fourth year of eligibility for Hall of Fame voting. In 2020, he gained his highest vote total -- 52.6 percent

Vizquel retired following the 2012 season and is in his fourth year of eligibility for Hall of Fame voting. In 2020, he gained his highest vote total -- 52.6 percent

Omar Vizquel is currently being investigated in the matter by Major League Baseball, which has reportedly interviewed Blanca.

According to The Athletic, Vizquel is also being investigated by MLB for an alleged incident that supposedly took place in 2019, when he served as manager of the Chicago White Sox's Double-A affiliate in Birmingham, Alabama.

Vizquel throws to first base during the game 1 of a double header against the Boston Red Sox at Jacobs Field on Tuesday, July 21, 1998

Vizquel throws to first base during the game 1 of a double header against the Boston Red Sox at Jacobs Field on Tuesday, July 21, 1998

'While Omar Vizquel has not been employed by a Major League organization for some time, we are aware of the allegations and will continue to look into them,' MLB told The Athletic in a statement.

Vizquel isn't currently working for a MLB team, but he could potentially face a suspension or fine if he were to be hired after league investigators found him to be at fault.    

Vizquel played with six teams over a 24-year career, most notably with the Cleveland Indians (1994-2004). A career .272 hitter, he was best known for his defense and won 11 Gold Glove awards.

He retired following the 2012 season and is in his fourth year of eligibility for Hall of Fame voting. In 2020, he gained his highest vote total -- 52.6 percent. Candidates must receive votes from 75 percent of selectors for enshrinement into Cooperstown. 

'It doesn't matter who the abuser is,' Blanca said in Spanish on Instagram live in October. 'I don't care that he has 11 Golden Gloves, his soul is rotten. If I tell you specifically about the blows, they were on parts of my body where they couldn't be seen because he didn't want to hit my face so it wouldn't be seen in the ballparks.' 

BLANCA VIZQUEL SPEAKS OUT AGAINST ESTRANGED HUSBAND, OMAR, ON OCTOBER 7

Blanca Garcia Vizquel first revealed the allegations of abuse against her estranged husband Omar on Instagram live on October 7, saying the following in Spanish:  

'I would like to confess that I, Blanca Vizquel, still Vizquel's wife, was the victim of domestic violence, beatings, physical domestic violence, emotional abuse, psychological abuse, even economic abuse.

'I know a lot of people are going to connect here are fans of my ex-spouse ... Yes, Mr. Omar Vizquel was the abuser who abused me over 1,500 ways, in all ways, in all possible ways: physical, sexual, emotional, psychological. All aspects. 

'I was the one who decided to leave him. I was the one, who thanks to God, made decision to leave alive. If I had stayed he would have killed me because he spoke about buying a firearm to have it in the room. The last step. For me it's not easy to talk about this. I say it with a profound sadness but I've overcome it, I am overcoming the pain. I am not alright. I am in recovery 

'I spent 12 years next to a person who abused me in every aspect, and today he is dedicating himself to saying that I am a person who is mentally ill. Mentally ill because I experienced depression, anxiety and a panic attack that was the result of the beatings. And not only the physical , there are blows that are not cured, psychological, emotional blows, sexual abuse, humiliations. All that. That man that you know as a baseball player, a successful one because he is successful because he does his job very well, is a monster behind closed doors. When I tried to speak, they tried to quiet me with blows, with threats. I had to escape in the middle of the night because I feared for my life. That was the last step. Killing me.'

'Regarding Mr. Vizquel, I have learned that abusers are made, they are made at home. They are the responsibility of the parents. It is unfortunate that a person who appears so charismatic, because even I was confused myself when I went to his games, to the baseball stadium, which was also an obligation for me to go to the baseball parks. I had no life. My life was his life. And I accepted. That is my responsibility because we are victims of the victims and with this I do not want to excuse him. We just have to understand the psyche of the abusers. They too have been victims. That's not my fault. It's no one's fault, but I ended up paying for that too.'

'It doesn't matter who the abuser is. I don't care that he has 11 Golden Gloves, his soul is rotten. If I tell you specifically about the blows, they were on parts of my body where they couldn't be seen because he didn't want to hit my face so it wouldn't be seen in the ballparks.'

'I am in a divorce process, it is a strong process, where the man wants me to shut my mouth and that is his request, that I keep my mouth shut so as not to damage his career, so as not to damage his election to Hall of Fame. But he never thought of me or my well-being. I was his trophy. I was his key ring.'

Popular posts from this blog

Study Abroad USA, College of Charleston, Popular Courses, Alumni

Thinking for Study Abroad USA. School of Charleston, the wonderful grounds is situated in the actual middle of a verifiable city - Charleston. Get snatched up by the wonderful and customary engineering, beautiful pathways, or look at the advanced steel and glass building which houses the School of Business. The grounds additionally gives students simple admittance to a few major tech organizations like Amazon's CreateSpace, Google, TwitPic, and so on. The school offers students nearby as well as off-grounds convenience going from completely outfitted home lobbies to memorable homes. It is prepared to offer different types of assistance and facilities like clubs, associations, sporting exercises, support administrations, etc. To put it plainly, the school grounds is rising with energy and there will never be a dull second for students at the College of Charleston. Concentrate on Abroad USA is improving and remunerating for your future. The energetic grounds likewise houses various

Best MBA Online Colleges in the USA

“Opportunities never open, instead we create them for us”. Beginning with this amazing saying, let’s unbox today’s knowledge. Love Business and marketing? Want to make a high-paid career in business administration? Well, if yes, then mate, we have got you something amazing to do!   We all imagine an effortless future with a cozy house and a laptop. Well, well! You can make this happen. Today, with this guide, we will be exploring some of the top-notch online MBA universities and institutes in the USA. Let’s get started! Why learn Online MBA from the USA? Access to More Options This online era has given a second chance to children who want to reflect on their careers while managing their hectic schedules. In this, the internet has played a very crucial in rejuvenating schools, institutes, and colleges to give the best education to students across the globe. Graduating with Less Debt Regular classes from high reputed institutes often charge heavy tuition fees. However onl

Sickening moment maskless 'Karen' COUGHS in the face of grocery store customer, then claims she doesn't have to wear a mask because she 'isn't sick'

A woman was captured on camera following a customer through a supermarket as she coughs on her after claiming she does not need a mask because she is not sick.  Video of the incident, which has garnered hundreds of thousands of views on Twitter alone, allegedly took place in a Su per Saver in Lincoln, Nebraska according to Twitter user @davenewworld_2. In it, an unidentified woman was captured dramatically coughing as she smiles saying 'Excuse me! I'm coming through' in the direction of the customer recording her. Scroll down for video An unidentified woman was captured dramatically coughing as she smiles saying 'Excuse me! I'm coming through' in the direction of a woman recording her A woman was captured on camera following a customer as she coughs on her in a supermarket without a mask on claiming she does not need one because she is not sick @chaiteabugz #karen #covid #karens #karensgonewild #karensalert #masks we were just wearing a mask at the store. ¿ o