Skip to main content

Liz Jones: In which I move house

46

View comments

Well, I’ve done it. I’ve moved home. The horses arrived safely but the lane to the house is so narrow, and a dead end, the box had to offload them. Given it was by now 9pm, and pitch black, this was a nightmare: Nic had to lead them up a strange lane to their tiny field, but they were so exhausted, they were all as good as gold. The feral cats were in a cage in the horsebox, and were too heavy to carry along the lane, so the box, Nic and the cats had to drive to my friend’s house, where they were offloaded temporarily into her office. 

I followed the next day with my dogs and cats. Even getting four collies into the back of the Land Rover was a struggle, given Jess and Michael are now so old and arthritic (a bit like me, apparently, as I’ve found out I’m referred to as ‘Nana’ on Twitter) they had to be lifted. Grace Kelly shook in her harness, and stress weed on my Jimmy Choo biker boots. As I left the farm for the last time, I knew I would never go back. I didn’t shed one single tear. 

Of course, I understand a lot of what I experienced on Exmoor was my fault: I wrote about the locals, albeit in a gentle way, and they objected. No one likes being written about, but when it’s done by a Londoner, and a single female one at that, it’s asking for trouble. So I’ve decided I’m not going to reveal where I live now. All I will say is that it’s beautiful, and next to a river: the lawn slopes down to the banks.

On my first morning, I couldn’t wait to get out of bed. I’ve invited my best friend to stay, whereas I was so ashamed of my house in Somerset I never wanted anyone to see it. Everything was different about moving here. It’s warm. It’s spotless. It’s small, just two rooms downstairs, and quiet and peaceful. The garden is entirely walled, so the puppies are much safer. Even Mini Puppy comes when I call her, although none of my dogs have yet learned to sit, or stay. I must be more assertive. No wonder no one takes me seriously. 

As I left the farm, I knew I’d never go back. I didn’t shed one single tear

I was worried about the horses, though. Used to 50 acres, they were now in just over two. I had to leave my hay stack behind, as it would have cost £4,000 to transport, so had no extra food to give them. By day two, the horses were standing, heads down, miserable, in mud. But I think my luck is changing. A neighbouring farmer offered me his 40-acre field with huge barn, opposite the house. To see the joy on the horses’ faces as they galloped away to explore the new pasture almost made the past five years seem worthwhile.

While the pasture back in Somerset was too rich for the ponies, here it is so scrubby that for the first time they can all be out together. The only mishap was when Susie got her arm through her new pink collar, and tried to strangle herself. I had to snip it off with scissors. I have had no internet for a week, and my mobile doesn’t work here, as it’s so remote, so for the first time in a decade I have come down from my super-busy high. I have been unavailable. 

At the end of the week, I thought I’d better reconnect with the world. I drove to the local village, which has a perfect green, but still no signal. I parked, and climbed a hill. My phone buzzed into life. Ping, ping, ping, ping. It was like that moment in the first Sex and the City film, when Carrie is roused out of her Mexi-coma, and switches on her phone to find her mailbox full. I had 11 new voicemails. 

I pressed one, and listened to the first. My sister, hoping I’d arrived safely. Another, from BT. A couple more. And then seven messages from him. I was slightly buoyed to hear the desperation in his voice as he found he couldn’t get hold of me. I haven’t even given him my new address, so there is no way he can find me. I’ve decided if he wants me then he has to work for me. Respect my space. I called him back. 

  More... Liz Jones: In which I confront him Liz Jones: In which I snoop on my ex Liz Jones: In which there’s a miracle

Popular posts from this blog

Study Abroad USA, College of Charleston, Popular Courses, Alumni

Thinking for Study Abroad USA. School of Charleston, the wonderful grounds is situated in the actual middle of a verifiable city - Charleston. Get snatched up by the wonderful and customary engineering, beautiful pathways, or look at the advanced steel and glass building which houses the School of Business. The grounds additionally gives students simple admittance to a few major tech organizations like Amazon's CreateSpace, Google, TwitPic, and so on. The school offers students nearby as well as off-grounds convenience going from completely outfitted home lobbies to memorable homes. It is prepared to offer different types of assistance and facilities like clubs, associations, sporting exercises, support administrations, etc. To put it plainly, the school grounds is rising with energy and there will never be a dull second for students at the College of Charleston. Concentrate on Abroad USA is improving and remunerating for your future. The energetic grounds likewise houses various

Best MBA Online Colleges in the USA

“Opportunities never open, instead we create them for us”. Beginning with this amazing saying, let’s unbox today’s knowledge. Love Business and marketing? Want to make a high-paid career in business administration? Well, if yes, then mate, we have got you something amazing to do!   We all imagine an effortless future with a cozy house and a laptop. Well, well! You can make this happen. Today, with this guide, we will be exploring some of the top-notch online MBA universities and institutes in the USA. Let’s get started! Why learn Online MBA from the USA? Access to More Options This online era has given a second chance to children who want to reflect on their careers while managing their hectic schedules. In this, the internet has played a very crucial in rejuvenating schools, institutes, and colleges to give the best education to students across the globe. Graduating with Less Debt Regular classes from high reputed institutes often charge heavy tuition fees. However onl

Sickening moment maskless 'Karen' COUGHS in the face of grocery store customer, then claims she doesn't have to wear a mask because she 'isn't sick'

A woman was captured on camera following a customer through a supermarket as she coughs on her after claiming she does not need a mask because she is not sick.  Video of the incident, which has garnered hundreds of thousands of views on Twitter alone, allegedly took place in a Su per Saver in Lincoln, Nebraska according to Twitter user @davenewworld_2. In it, an unidentified woman was captured dramatically coughing as she smiles saying 'Excuse me! I'm coming through' in the direction of the customer recording her. Scroll down for video An unidentified woman was captured dramatically coughing as she smiles saying 'Excuse me! I'm coming through' in the direction of a woman recording her A woman was captured on camera following a customer as she coughs on her in a supermarket without a mask on claiming she does not need one because she is not sick @chaiteabugz #karen #covid #karens #karensgonewild #karensalert #masks we were just wearing a mask at the store. ¿ o