Skip to main content

SIX NATIONS 2012: World Cup is behind us, George North

1

View comments

Everyone knows it’s a big game, so let’s just play it.

All the World Cup stuff is media hype. That was a game at the World Cup - this is a different tournament. France are playing a different type of rugby now and we’re playing a slightly different brand too. We need to cut off from all that and just play for 80 minutes.

It’s about making sure my top two inches are right.

Making sure your head is right is something Rob Howley has brought in. I know my stuff - where I need to be, my lines, what I hit, who I tackle, where I run. As long as my top two inches are fine then I’m happy. Obviously we do a lot of work with the body during the week but if your head is not right you’re going to look like Bambi on ice. Get your head right and your body will follow.

Looking forward: Wales are focused on Saturday's game

We got ourselves geed up against Italy but we didn’t fire on all cylinders.

Basic errors and skills let us down. I think we went back a few steps and became less clinical. Up until now we’ve been on the front foot, hitting lines and carrying strong and we’ve got to get that back. Maybe we tried to play too much so we need to cut out all the nonsense. By half-time they were blowing, you could tell because half tackles started coming in, that’s when holes start to open up on shoulders and off-loads are on. When they are hurting that’s when you need to take it to the next level and bring an extra edge.

Wesley Fofana is a good player but he hasn’t played much on the wing.

There’s a lot of open space and it can be a lonely place so we’ll see how he likes it. We were told this was going to be a big week in training rather than an ease-off because there’s no point going into a French game half-hearted - you never know what’s going to hit you. Training has gone really well and there’s a bit more clarity in the camp. It’s clicking nicely towards the end.

Wide role: Wesley Fofana will play opposite North

What’s the point in paying all that money to put a roof on a stadium if you don’t close it when it rains?

I can only guess they will put up some horrible high bombs, but we’ll deal with it. We’ll take it as a compliment, as an attempt to slow us down. We play in Wales year round where the average temperature is about -100C and it’s always raining. You’re born in rain in Wales - there’s not much you can do here without being rained on.

For the 2005 Grand Slam I was still at school and I remember watching the match at home with my family.

I sent my mum through to the back room because she was shouting too much and me and Dad watched in the lounge. I get worked up, but my mum screams and runs on the spot. I know she’s running for them but I’m thinking they’ve got to run too! I can’t imagine what she is like in the stands. She must be in a hell of a state! For 2008, I was at home. It was the first year I was in Under 16s and I knew I wanted to be a rugby player so watching them finish like that really gees you up.

Fond memories: Wales celebrate winning the Grand Slam in 2008

Sam Warburton is one of those rare beasts who can go hide away in a cave for two months, get himself big and strong and still make 80 minutes without a bead of sweat on him.

It’s ridiculous. With Sam it’s just important he looks after himself. He’s under so much pressure as the leader of the team and he does that week in, week out but he needs to look after his knee. This week he was running around like a goon again and chirping up in training so he’s obviously feeling better.

I’ll miss being at the Vale Resort.

Everything is set up to push you to get to the next level and that is something I have always strived to do. I don’t like being normal - average isn’t good enough. Our head of physical performance Adam Beard is good because he challenges me. When I started I was upside down, I was bottom-heavy - as in my legs were too heavy for my upper body. Now I’ve evened out and Beard has been key to that. In the gym yesterday we were doing bench presses and he tells me Alex Cuthbert did that for five reps and I was like, ‘Come on then, I’ll go again’.

I was so sorry to hear about the sad news of Merv’s passing on Friday.

We were told as a squad in the morning. He is a true Welsh legend and our thoughts are with his family and friends.

  More... Six classic Grand Slam Showdowns between Wales and France EXCLUSIVE: Three is the magic number for Wales' peerless prop Jenkins Peter Jackson: Goodbye Merv... you were a giant among giants Now for a Grand finale! Wales bid to avenge World Cup agony in Cardiff



Popular posts from this blog

Study Abroad USA, College of Charleston, Popular Courses, Alumni

Thinking for Study Abroad USA. School of Charleston, the wonderful grounds is situated in the actual middle of a verifiable city - Charleston. Get snatched up by the wonderful and customary engineering, beautiful pathways, or look at the advanced steel and glass building which houses the School of Business. The grounds additionally gives students simple admittance to a few major tech organizations like Amazon's CreateSpace, Google, TwitPic, and so on. The school offers students nearby as well as off-grounds convenience going from completely outfitted home lobbies to memorable homes. It is prepared to offer different types of assistance and facilities like clubs, associations, sporting exercises, support administrations, etc. To put it plainly, the school grounds is rising with energy and there will never be a dull second for students at the College of Charleston. Concentrate on Abroad USA is improving and remunerating for your future. The energetic grounds likewise houses various

Best MBA Online Colleges in the USA

“Opportunities never open, instead we create them for us”. Beginning with this amazing saying, let’s unbox today’s knowledge. Love Business and marketing? Want to make a high-paid career in business administration? Well, if yes, then mate, we have got you something amazing to do!   We all imagine an effortless future with a cozy house and a laptop. Well, well! You can make this happen. Today, with this guide, we will be exploring some of the top-notch online MBA universities and institutes in the USA. Let’s get started! Why learn Online MBA from the USA? Access to More Options This online era has given a second chance to children who want to reflect on their careers while managing their hectic schedules. In this, the internet has played a very crucial in rejuvenating schools, institutes, and colleges to give the best education to students across the globe. Graduating with Less Debt Regular classes from high reputed institutes often charge heavy tuition fees. However onl

Sickening moment maskless 'Karen' COUGHS in the face of grocery store customer, then claims she doesn't have to wear a mask because she 'isn't sick'

A woman was captured on camera following a customer through a supermarket as she coughs on her after claiming she does not need a mask because she is not sick.  Video of the incident, which has garnered hundreds of thousands of views on Twitter alone, allegedly took place in a Su per Saver in Lincoln, Nebraska according to Twitter user @davenewworld_2. In it, an unidentified woman was captured dramatically coughing as she smiles saying 'Excuse me! I'm coming through' in the direction of the customer recording her. Scroll down for video An unidentified woman was captured dramatically coughing as she smiles saying 'Excuse me! I'm coming through' in the direction of a woman recording her A woman was captured on camera following a customer as she coughs on her in a supermarket without a mask on claiming she does not need one because she is not sick @chaiteabugz #karen #covid #karens #karensgonewild #karensalert #masks we were just wearing a mask at the store. ¿ o