Skip to main content

‘I need to tell other writers how much their work meant to me’



Dying novelist Iain Banks has said he will send letters to the authors who inspired him to write.


Speaking for the first time since being diagnosed with terminal cancer, he also told fans he felt 'treasured and loved' after announcing he had only months to live.

Those who would receive a letter of thanks include fellow author Alasdair Gray.



The author said he would continue to post 'the occasional update' on his blog for as long as he was able

The sci-fi writer said: 'I need to tell other writers how much their work has meant to me while they are (and I am) still alive.


'Means writing yet more letters, but I feel it'd be hypocritical of me not to, now.




More...
Would you do me the honour of becoming my widow? Author Iain Banks's proposal as he reveals he is dying of cancer
The day I became a wife then a widow in seven shattering hours

'I think I'll start with the amazing Mr Alasdair Gray.'


Banks also revealed that he honeymooned in Venice and Paris with his new wife Adele.


Banks has also revealed he honeymooned in Venice and Paris with his new wife Adele (pictured)

The author asked her to become his 'widow' after learning of the fatal illness.

In a new blog post he also praised the care he received at Edinburgh Royal Infirmary after he developed a medical complication while travelling back from France.

The 59-year-old shocked fans around the world earlier this month by revealing he had a terminal cancer which was spreading from his gall bladder.

In a blog post on a fan website at the weekend, his first public statement since his initial revelation, he said he was astounded at the level of support he received.

The Wasp Factory author wrote: 'Discovering the sheer extent and depth of the feelings people have expressed on the message board over the past two weeks has been truly astounding.

'I feel treasured, I feel loved, I feel I've done more than just pursue the craft I adore and make a living from it, and more than just fulfil the only real ambition I've ever had - of becoming a professional writer.


'I am deeply flattered and touched, and I can't deny I've been made to feel very special indeed.'


He also said some messages had been 'rationality challenged': 'And I am, of course, deeply happy that I have attracted the attentions of a few of our - how can I put this politely? - more rationality-challenged friends. To have stirred up none at all would have been almost suspicious.

'Mostly, though - good grief! - what an outpouring of love, affection and respect. I honestly had no idea.'

After he and long-term partner Adele Hartley married over the Easter weekend at Inverlochy Castle Hotel in the Highlands they travelled to Venice followed by Paris.

He said his statement was 'cunningly timed to hit the outerweb just as we were heading away on honeymoon to mostly-sunny-with-a-touch-of-rain Venice and then mostly-rainy-with-a-touch-of-sun Paris.'

The blog post continued: 'Even after we had, technically, arrived back home it was still a few more days before I could lay my tousled locks on our own pillows; I had to get off the train at Waverley station on Thursday and head straight to the Edinburgh Royal Infirmary after feeling distinctly dodgy in Paris that morning.


'I was kept in until Tuesday (though I did have a day pass that let me come home for a while over Sunday/early Monday... nothing about any of this is simple)

'The upshot is that a partial blockage of the stent that was emplaced earlier appears to have been dealt with in a procedure that took place on Monday afternoon and my bilirubin levels have started to come down again.

'Anyway, I'm back home now, after a basically brilliant honeymoon/holiday and a good-as-it-could-be stay at the very shiny and expertise-stuffed ERI.'

He added he had worked on his new novel The Quarry while on holiday, while Adele monitored posts on the Banksophilia fan website.


Fans' suggestions of medical treatment and research would 'be looked at seriously', he said.

He also heaped praise on his fans: 'Of course I've always known I have a fair few fans, and I've always been a fan of my fans - certainly of those who turned up at signing sessions, bookshop events, literary festivals, library gigs and so on.

'The people I spoke to on these occasions always seemed bright, clever, highly informed and sometimes worryingly more intelligent than me (see - somebody really intelligent would have written 'I' there).

'As well as displaying immense good taste in literature, obviously.'

He said he would continue to post 'the occasional update' for as long as he was able.

The Quarry is due to be published on 20 June.

Popular posts from this blog

Study Abroad USA, College of Charleston, Popular Courses, Alumni

Thinking for Study Abroad USA. School of Charleston, the wonderful grounds is situated in the actual middle of a verifiable city - Charleston. Get snatched up by the wonderful and customary engineering, beautiful pathways, or look at the advanced steel and glass building which houses the School of Business. The grounds additionally gives students simple admittance to a few major tech organizations like Amazon's CreateSpace, Google, TwitPic, and so on. The school offers students nearby as well as off-grounds convenience going from completely outfitted home lobbies to memorable homes. It is prepared to offer different types of assistance and facilities like clubs, associations, sporting exercises, support administrations, etc. To put it plainly, the school grounds is rising with energy and there will never be a dull second for students at the College of Charleston. Concentrate on Abroad USA is improving and remunerating for your future. The energetic grounds likewise houses various

Best MBA Online Colleges in the USA

“Opportunities never open, instead we create them for us”. Beginning with this amazing saying, let’s unbox today’s knowledge. Love Business and marketing? Want to make a high-paid career in business administration? Well, if yes, then mate, we have got you something amazing to do!   We all imagine an effortless future with a cozy house and a laptop. Well, well! You can make this happen. Today, with this guide, we will be exploring some of the top-notch online MBA universities and institutes in the USA. Let’s get started! Why learn Online MBA from the USA? Access to More Options This online era has given a second chance to children who want to reflect on their careers while managing their hectic schedules. In this, the internet has played a very crucial in rejuvenating schools, institutes, and colleges to give the best education to students across the globe. Graduating with Less Debt Regular classes from high reputed institutes often charge heavy tuition fees. However onl

Sickening moment maskless 'Karen' COUGHS in the face of grocery store customer, then claims she doesn't have to wear a mask because she 'isn't sick'

A woman was captured on camera following a customer through a supermarket as she coughs on her after claiming she does not need a mask because she is not sick.  Video of the incident, which has garnered hundreds of thousands of views on Twitter alone, allegedly took place in a Su per Saver in Lincoln, Nebraska according to Twitter user @davenewworld_2. In it, an unidentified woman was captured dramatically coughing as she smiles saying 'Excuse me! I'm coming through' in the direction of the customer recording her. Scroll down for video An unidentified woman was captured dramatically coughing as she smiles saying 'Excuse me! I'm coming through' in the direction of a woman recording her A woman was captured on camera following a customer as she coughs on her in a supermarket without a mask on claiming she does not need one because she is not sick @chaiteabugz #karen #covid #karens #karensgonewild #karensalert #masks we were just wearing a mask at the store. ¿ o