Skip to main content

How to look HOT this awards season: Super stylist Louise Roe shares her showbiz diary



With the BAFTAs and Elle Style Awards lighting up London this week and the Oscars still to come, the awards season is well and truly underway.

And with it comes the pressure to look red carpet ready for every star-studded lunch, A-list dinner, pre-party, after party and, of course, the main event in between.

Presenter, model and all round fashionista Louise Roe is an awards season regular and she knows it takes more than a fabulous dress, serious jewels and flash-proof make-up to see stars through the night.

Here she shares her tips, and some very glamorous gossip, in her exclusive red carpet diary.




Saturday night fever: Make-up artist Alex Babsky preps Louise for the first party of the BAFTA weekend








Party girls: Louise was joined at the Lancôme pre BAFTAs party by actress, Jennifer Lawrence (left)

SATURDAY 9th FEBRUARY


4pm I’ve flown in from LA to be Lancôme’s guest at the BAFTAs and it’s lovely to be back in London even though the weather is freezing! I head to their suite at the Savoy hotel, and start getting glammed up by make-up artist Alex Babsky.





We create a fresh, dewy look with natural taupes on my eyelid, a contoured cheek with a limited edition BAFTA blush called subtil, and a pouty lip in shade Beige Rose.

5pm Lovely ladies from Asprey bring me a tray of diamonds to choose from, I feel like a princess as I pick out a giant aquamarine ring, matching bracelet and earrings.

5.30pm I zip into my knee-length Matthew Williamson dress, it has a cute sequined peplum hem and I pair it with high silver Jimmy Choo sandals and a matching clutch.

6pm Champagne corks are popped and the team and I have a quick toast before heading off to the Asprey Bond Street store for their BAFTA cocktail party.




Smokin! For the big night itself, Louise opted for a dramatic dark smokey eye and long lasting base



Showtime! Louise is ready to swap the Savoy for the opulent surroundings of the Royal Albert Hall

7pm The party’s in full swing and Jennifer Lawrence arrives in a stunning persimmon gown with transparent side-panels.


Easily the best-dressed, she’s been sick with the flu since the Golden Globes, and so instead of shaking people’s hands tonight, is fist-pumping then!


I sip an Amaretto on the rocks and wander around, chatting to Laura Whitmore, who looks stunning in a black and white gown, and tells me she’s planning to wear long-johns under her outfit to host EE’s red carpet tomorrow night to avoid freezing in the chilly weather.


SUNDAY 10th FEBRUARY


11am BAFTA day has arrived. I head to London and get straight into the chair for hair.


I’ve got a photo of what I’d like to achieve: a messy chignon and centre-parting, a little bit brunette Bardot.


Tyler Johnson, my unbelievably talented hair stylist for the day, whips my locks up in less than 30 minutes (his next job is Victoria Beckham’s presentation at New York Fashion Week…amazing).








The youngest Olsen sister, Elizabeth, is a friend of Louise's


Actress Hayley Atwell was on Louise's table at the BAFTAs


Fashionably late: Actress Jessica Chastain arrived tardily



12pm I start makeup with Alex. Today he’s creating a dramatic brown smoky eye, and adding a false lash and a cat-eye flick.


Because I’ll be out for so many hours, we create a long-lasting base and add brightening concealer under my eyes.


1pm I order a haddock and spinach omelette from room service, which will hopefully keep me going because dinner isn’t served until 10pm. I chat to my friend and photographer Nick Harvey, who starts snapping behind-the-scenes pics for this piece.

2pm Time for nails! I’ve got an amazing dress from my friend Giles Deacon, which is cream and brown.


My jewellery is from Kimberley Macdonald and all brown, and my bag and shoes are from Jimmy Choo, also cream, gold and brown. So I go for a neutral nail that reminds me of fudge. I love it.







Perfectly made-up: Sarah Jessica Parker and Louise Roe shared a make-up artist for the BAFTAs

4pm Putting on my dress I suddenly realise it will photograph very sheer. So someone kindly makes a mad-dash to buy a slip, and phew – fashion faux-pas averted.


5pm I get dressed and have a makeup touch –up from Alex, who had been upstairs doing the makeup of none other than SJP!


I meet the gorgeous actresses on our table for dinner, Lizzie Olsen, Lily James, Annabel Wallis and Hayley Atwell. We take photos and half of us decide not to take coats…even though it’s starting to snow.

6pm After a big traffic jam, Lily and I step onto the BAFTA red carpet at the Royal Opera House. The sleet is blowing sideways at us but there are brollies all over the place, so we make it up to the photographers, take a few photos and then scoot inside. The show is about to start.

7pm I’m sitting a few feet from Superman Henry Cavill, Juno Temple and Nicholas Hoult. I think Hollywood is impressed with the decadence and opulence of our ornate Opera House - they are all craning their neck to look up and around to the roof.










Table with a view! From her seat, Louise could see Superman actor Henry Cavill and rising star, Nicholas Hoult

Jessica Chastain runs in after the show has started, shaking rain from her hair but still looking stunning in her cobalt Roland Mouret dress. I catch sight of Jennifer Lawrence and Marion Cotillard, both in chic Dior gowns, both on my best-dressed list yet again.

8pm Ben Affleck wins the first of his many awards tonight and it’s cool to witness first-hand George Clooney and Jennifer Garner’s major whooping and clapping for him.

10pm We all climb onto coaches and drive across London to dinner at the Grosvenor. The room is decked out to the nines – each table featuring an elaborate centerpiece themed around this year’s nominated movies.


I sit next to Lizzie Olsen, who is absolutely divine, and looking radiant in Chanel. She isn’t staying in London long, she’ll miss her sisters’ (the Olsen Twins) fashion presentation in New York.

12.30am Lizzie and I head home, both having to be up early in the morning. But a lot of our friends head on for the after-party at Lulu’s on Hertford Street, late into the night!

HOW TO GET LOUISE'S BAFTA BEAUTY LOOK


The man behind the make-up brush, Lancôme's Alex Babsky explains how to recreate Louise's flawless party look at home:


'I wanted Louise's look to stay flawless all evening so opted for a more matte foundation, Lancôme Teint Idole Ultra and used it to create a really even, flawless base and added some lightness around her eyes with a LancômeTeint Miracle concealer pen.


'With a large brush, I applied some loose powder all over the face to set the foundation and ensure that the rest of the powder products I used would glide on flawlessly.'


DRAMATIC EYES


'Louise was keen to add drama to her eyes by picking out the richest tones in her dress, so I chose eyeshadow in a deep, chocolate brown, Lancôme Ombre Hypnôse Mono shade M204.


I ran the colour along her lower lashline and continued the colour outward in a wing at the outer edges. 'With a soft brush, I then applied the same colour over her eyelids, bringing it out to meet the wing I had created.


'To add intensity to the look, I used Lancôme Le Crayon Kohl in black to map out a thick band of eyeliner along Louise's upper lashline and drew the shape out into a dramatic 'flick'.

'Once I was satisfied with the shape, I went over it with a Lancôme Liner Plume to leave a really sharp, perfect edge to it and then applied a couple of coats of Lancôme Hypnôse waterproof mascara in black in case of any red carpet mishaps later on.

FINISHING TOUCHES

'Louise likes a strong brow, so I added definition to the shape with a deep brown pencil.


'Since her eyes were the focus of the makeup, I wanted to keep everything else relatively fresh so just applied a little Lancôme Blush Subtil in Rose Sable (BAFTA limited edition blusher) and defined Louise's lips with a Lancôme Le Contour lip pencil in shade 211 pencil - the perfect match for her lips.
'i finished off with the tiniest amount of gloss to keep them moist.

Popular posts from this blog

Study Abroad USA, College of Charleston, Popular Courses, Alumni

Thinking for Study Abroad USA. School of Charleston, the wonderful grounds is situated in the actual middle of a verifiable city - Charleston. Get snatched up by the wonderful and customary engineering, beautiful pathways, or look at the advanced steel and glass building which houses the School of Business. The grounds additionally gives students simple admittance to a few major tech organizations like Amazon's CreateSpace, Google, TwitPic, and so on. The school offers students nearby as well as off-grounds convenience going from completely outfitted home lobbies to memorable homes. It is prepared to offer different types of assistance and facilities like clubs, associations, sporting exercises, support administrations, etc. To put it plainly, the school grounds is rising with energy and there will never be a dull second for students at the College of Charleston. Concentrate on Abroad USA is improving and remunerating for your future. The energetic grounds likewise houses various

Best MBA Online Colleges in the USA

“Opportunities never open, instead we create them for us”. Beginning with this amazing saying, let’s unbox today’s knowledge. Love Business and marketing? Want to make a high-paid career in business administration? Well, if yes, then mate, we have got you something amazing to do!   We all imagine an effortless future with a cozy house and a laptop. Well, well! You can make this happen. Today, with this guide, we will be exploring some of the top-notch online MBA universities and institutes in the USA. Let’s get started! Why learn Online MBA from the USA? Access to More Options This online era has given a second chance to children who want to reflect on their careers while managing their hectic schedules. In this, the internet has played a very crucial in rejuvenating schools, institutes, and colleges to give the best education to students across the globe. Graduating with Less Debt Regular classes from high reputed institutes often charge heavy tuition fees. However onl

Sickening moment maskless 'Karen' COUGHS in the face of grocery store customer, then claims she doesn't have to wear a mask because she 'isn't sick'

A woman was captured on camera following a customer through a supermarket as she coughs on her after claiming she does not need a mask because she is not sick.  Video of the incident, which has garnered hundreds of thousands of views on Twitter alone, allegedly took place in a Su per Saver in Lincoln, Nebraska according to Twitter user @davenewworld_2. In it, an unidentified woman was captured dramatically coughing as she smiles saying 'Excuse me! I'm coming through' in the direction of the customer recording her. Scroll down for video An unidentified woman was captured dramatically coughing as she smiles saying 'Excuse me! I'm coming through' in the direction of a woman recording her A woman was captured on camera following a customer as she coughs on her in a supermarket without a mask on claiming she does not need one because she is not sick @chaiteabugz #karen #covid #karens #karensgonewild #karensalert #masks we were just wearing a mask at the store. ¿ o