Skip to main content

'I'm definitely getting the jab – not like my naïve mum and dad': 16 and 17-year-olds say they WILL get the Covid vaccination when they become eligible regardless of their parents' opinions

Sixteen and 17-year-olds have insisted that they will get the Covid-19 vaccination when they become eligible, regardless of their parents' opinions.

It has been revealed that 16 and 17-year-olds won't need parental consent to get Covid vaccines, while No 10's top scientists have hinted children as young as 12 could be offered jabs later this year.

And 16 and 17-year-olds in Manchester have said that they plan to get the Covid vaccine as soon as they are eligible - even if their parents do not agree with them. 

One 16-year-old said he is planning to get the Covid jab so he won't have to 'worry' about getting the virus, and criticised his 'naïve' parents for choosing not to get vaccinated.

Clayton Murdock, 16, slammed his parents for being 'naïve' in not getting vaccinated themselves, but insisted that will not stop him from getting the Covid jab

Clayton Murdock, 16, slammed his parents for being 'naïve' in not getting vaccinated themselves, but insisted that will not stop him from getting the Covid jab

Meanwhile, another teenager said he would get the Covid vaccine so he can go to gigs next year, while one 17-year-old said she was hoping to bag a 'free kebab' for getting vaccinated.

But some teens have remained sceptical about the vaccine after the announcement, with one woman saying she has heard of women suffering from bad periods after the jab, while another teen said he would only get the vaccine if he is 'forced' to.

The Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation recommended the 1.4million youngsters should be offered Pfizer jabs, marking a U-turn on guidance the same panel issued two weeks ago.

Health Secretary Sajid Javid said the NHS would dish out invites for vaccines 'as soon as possible', with the goal of getting the oldest teenagers protected before they return to classrooms in September.

Clayton Murdock, 16, from Manchester, slammed his parents for being 'naïve' in not getting vaccinated themselves, but insisted that will not stop him from getting the Covid jab.

He continued: 'I'm definitely for taking the Covid vaccine. If it's helping people then I'm all for it. 

Amy Blackshaw, 16, expressed her concerns that some women have complained about missing their periods after getting the jab, but said she would get the vaccine to keep others safe

Amy Blackshaw, 16, expressed her concerns that some women have complained about missing their periods after getting the jab, but said she would get the vaccine to keep others safe

'I've heard though that it's killing people but I don't care as long as it's helping people.

'I'd take it so I could go out and not worry about getting the virus. My parents haven't had it, but that's because they are naïve.' 

Meanwhile, Annie Sawbridge, 17, from Manchester, said she too wants to get vaccinated, sharing her hopes that she might be able to bag a free Uber or a free kebab if she is double vaccinated.

Annie said that her father is already double vaccinated, while her mother has had her first vaccine, and she plans to join them in getting the Covid jab as soon as she is eligible.

She added: 'I would take the vaccine. I've heard you can get a free Uber or a free kebab out of it, so I'd get it and hope for a free kebab. 

'I'd take it to keep people safe.'

Elsewhere, Amy Blackshaw, 16, from Manchester, expressed her concerns that some women have complained about missing their periods and getting 'swollen' breasts after getting the jab.

But she said that despite her belief that people should be told 'what's going to happen' after getting the jab, she still plans to get the vaccine in a bid to keep other people safe.

She explained: 'I'd love to take the vaccine, but I've heard women saying that their boobs are swelling and that they're missing their periods from it and it's a shame that women's mental health isn't taken into account, but I'd still take the vaccine anyway because it's important. 

Meanwhile, Annie Sawbridge, 17, said she wants to get the Covid jab, sharing her hopes that she might be able to bag a free Uber or a free kebab if she is double vaccinated

Meanwhile, Annie Sawbridge, 17, said she wants to get the Covid jab, sharing her hopes that she might be able to bag a free Uber or a free kebab if she is double vaccinated

One teenager who feels slightly sceptical about getting the Covid jab is Kieron Booth, 16, from Ponteland in Northumberland. He said he will only get vaccinated if he is 'forced' to

One teenager who feels slightly sceptical about getting the Covid jab is Kieron Booth, 16, from Ponteland in Northumberland. He said he will only get vaccinated if he is 'forced' to 

'I think when you take it, you should be told what's going to happen. I don't think people are told enough what can happen.

'I'd take it to be safe for other people.'

Another teenager who feels slightly more sceptical about getting the Covid jab is Kieron Booth, 16, from Ponteland in Northumberland.

Kieron said he will only get the vaccine if he is 'forced' to, saying he feels safe in the knowledge that he is young and believes that Covid will not 'affect' him 'as much'.

He said: 'For me getting it depends on if I'm forced to have it to go on holiday.

'I would definitely get it if I had to for holidays. I would preferably not get it but if they forced me I would.

'I've missed out on a couple of things like holidays because of Covid.

'But I'm not in any rush, not until I have to. I feel safe enough as being younger I don't think it affects you as much.

'My family have had their first jabs and my mam has been really ill with it so I don't want to get it unless I have to.' 

Childcare and education student Millie Coulson, 16, from Blyth, said she plans on getting the vaccine as she trusts the Government and said getting the jab would make her feel safer amid the pandemic.

She explained: 'I definitely plan on getting it when I get the chance.

Childcare and education student Millie Coulson, 16, from Blyth, said she plans on getting the vaccine as it would make her feel safer amid the pandemic

Childcare and education student Millie Coulson, 16, from Blyth, said she plans on getting the vaccine as it would make her feel safer amid the pandemic

'If the Government are advising it then we just have to trust them really, that's all you can do.

'I don't feel that safe at the moment because I know Covid is deadly but I would definitely trust the injection.

'I have no issues in getting it. I'd love to go to festivals and holidays later on so I would have to get it.'  

Lauren Nicholson, of Blyth in Northumberland, admitted that her grandparents have been encouraging her to get the Covid jab, despite her not really thinking about it.

The 17-year-old sixth form student said: 'I haven't had the vaccine yet and I haven't really thought about it.

'I think I might get it in the future especially if you have to for if you're going abroad and things like that.

'My grandma and grandad have encouraged me to get it and they want me to have it when I can.

'I would like to go away places on holiday at some point in the future so I will end up having it at some point.'

One teenager whose parents have opted to get the Covid vaccine is 17-year-old Freddie Wakeling, from Manchester, who said he is one of the only people in his family not to have been vaccinated yet.

He said that while he is in no rush to get the vaccine, as he is not clinically vulnerable, he wants to get the jab when he can so he is able to attend gigs and other events next year.

One teenager whose parents have opted to get the Covid jab is 17-year-old Freddie Wakeling, who said he is one of the only people in his family not to have been vaccinated yet

One teenager whose parents have opted to get the Covid jab is 17-year-old Freddie Wakeling, who said he is one of the only people in his family not to have been vaccinated yet

Bailey Wressell, 17, from Chester-le-Street in County Durham, also had concerts and public events on her mind as she said she is planning on getting the vaccine as soon as she canLauren Nicholson, of Blyth in Northumberland, admitted that her grandparents have been encouraging her to get the Covid jab, despite her not really thinking about it

Bailey Wressell , 17, from Chester-le-Street in County Durham, and Lauren Nicholson, of Blyth in Northumberland, both plan to get the Covid vaccine when they are eligible

He explained: 'It's something I would take if I was offered it, but as I'm not particularly vulnerable, I'm not in any hurry to get it. 

'The main reason I want to get it is from fears of not being able to do things in the future especially with big public events with gigs and that kind of thing. 

'That's something I don't want to miss out on, especially next year because I've got a few booked now.

'I'm pretty much the only person in my family not to be vaccinated yet, but that's only because I've not been eligible.'

Bailey Wressell, 17, from Chester-le-Street in County Durham, also had concerts and public events on her mind as she said she is planning on getting the vaccine as soon as she can. 

The sixth form student said: 'When I am eligible I will definitely be having it.

'I want to stay safe and I think it would be silly not to get it really. We don't want to end up back in lockdown so you might as well get it.

'I feel it's important to keep older people safe too such as grandparents.

'Me and my friend have got a concert booked for next year so I will need it for that.' 

Evan Cooper, 17, has already had both doses of the Covid-19 vaccine, which he got in a bid to protect his grandparents and to allow him to go on holiday with his friends.

Evan, from Manchester, said he could not afford to pay for the PCR tests required before going abroad, so decided to get the Covid jab so he was able to go on holiday.

He added: 'I'm double vaccinated but the main reason I took it was because I'm going on holiday with some friends and if I don't have it, then the PCR tests are really expensive and I'm young as it is, so I can't really afford it, so I took it for that reason and to protect my grandparents.

Evan Cooper, 17, has already had both doses of the Covid-19 vaccine, which he decided to get in a bid to protect his grandparents and to enable him to go on holiday with his friends

Evan Cooper, 17, has already had both doses of the Covid-19 vaccine, which he decided to get in a bid to protect his grandparents and to enable him to go on holiday with his friends

While Mila Jowett, 17, from Chester-le-Street in County Durham, said she feels a certain duty to have the Covid jab, saying the only reason she hasn't had it is because she is not eligible yet

While Mila Jowett, 17, from Chester-le-Street in County Durham, said she feels a certain duty to have the Covid jab, saying the only reason she hasn't had it is because she is not eligible yet

'Both of my parents are double vaccinated, my sister is 22 and she has had her first vaccine.'

Evan is not the only teenager thinking about going on holiday in the future, as photographer Alex Elliot, 17, of South Shields in South Tyneside, said he wants to get the jab so he knows that he is 'safe' to go abroad.

Alex, who turns 18 next month, said: 'I've read in the news that young adults can get it. 'But I've not actually had any contact personally saying I'm eligible.

'I wouldn't be in a rush for it but definitely when I have the time and if I wasn't busy, I would go and get it.

'It's more about me not wanting to restrict anybody in the future and I don't want to be seen as bad by anyone.

'I would rather just get it for other people. I definitely want to be part of a group effort to keep people safe.

'Getting it to go places isn't really on my mind but it would be comforting to know that if I needed to go abroad in the future, I would be safe to do so.'

And waitress Neeve Rogers, from Newcastle, also plans on getting the vaccine so she is able to travel abroad and visit her family in America.

The 17-year-old said: 'I haven't had it yet but I do plan on getting it.

'I think it's important because it will help everything get better and the quicker everyone gets vaccinated then the quicker it should all be over.

Waitress Neeve Rogers, from Newcastle, also plans on getting the vaccine so she is able to travel abroad and visit her family in America

Waitress Neeve Rogers, from Newcastle, also plans on getting the vaccine so she is able to travel abroad and visit her family in America

'I really want to travel, just anywhere abroad once I get my vaccine. 

'I'd like to travel back to America as I have family there so if I got the jab I'd be able to go see them.' 

Michael Hale, 16, from Manchester, said he has already had Covid and would choose to get the vaccine when he is eligible, adding: 'I think it's about safety. 

'I've already had Covid, so I shouldn't get it for a while, but I think you need to take into account other people. My parents have both been vaccinated.'

While Mila Jowett, 17, from Chester-le-Street in County Durham, admitted that she feels a certain duty to have the Covid jab, saying the only reason she hasn't had it is because she is not eligible yet.

She continued: 'I haven't had the jab because I'm not eligible I don't think.

'I think it's important for my state of mind and I do think there is a duty to have it.

'I will feel safer once having it, sometimes I feel a bit on edge now after lockdown and especially with people getting pinged which is a hindrance.

'Definitely in the future I would like to go on holiday as well.' 

The teenagers' eagerness to get the vaccine comes after it was announced that 16 and 17-year-olds won't need parental consent to get Covid jabs.

Photographer Alex Elliot, 17, of South Shields in South Tyneside, said he wants to get the jab so he knows that he is 'safe' to go abroad

Photographer Alex Elliot, 17, of South Shields in South Tyneside, said he wants to get the jab so he knows that he is 'safe' to go abroad

Michael Hale, 16, said he has already had Covid and would choose to get the vaccine when he is eligible, adding that he thinks people need to take into account other people as well

Michael Hale, 16, said he has already had Covid and would choose to get the vaccine when he is eligible, adding that he thinks people need to take into account other people as well 

Health Secretary Sajid Javid accepted advice from the Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation and asked the NHS to prepare to vaccinate the group 'as soon as possible'.

And Boris Johnson called on families to listen to the advice, saying that the committee was 'among the best in the world' and that the country should 'take our lead from them'.

Officials said there is 'no time to waste' and want to give all 1.4million older teenagers the Pfizer vaccine before schools return in September. Detailed plans will be set out this week.  

At a Downing Street press conference this afternoon, JCVI chair Professor Wei Shen Lim revealed 16-17 year olds won't be booked in for second doses just yet.

There are currently no concrete plans to offer the 16 and 17 year olds second doses, with the expert panel wanting to buy more time to understand the safety risks.

Meanwhile, Professor Jonathan Van-Tam, England's deputy chief medical officer, said there was 'no time to waste' and that there was 'plentiful' supply of the vaccines.  

Unveiling the inoculation drive expansion in a Downing Street briefing today, Professor Van-Tam said: 'Children are going to start going back to colleges and sixths forms from September, and in Scotland that will be slightly earlier, so there is no time to waste in getting on with this.

'The NHS has been kept informed of what is being deliberated for JCVI, it has been preparing for multiple options for very many weeks now and I would expect this programme will start in a very short number of weeks.' 

He also laid the groundwork for ministers to expand the inoculation drive to all over-12s in the near future, saying that the JCVI would 'continually review' the evidence. 

The major safety concern around vaccinating children centres on a heart condition called myocarditis, which is six times more common after the top-up jab. 

Health chiefs confirmed that children will be able to overrule their parents and opt to get the vaccine without their permission. 

But experts are divided over the hugely controversial topic of vaccinating children, given their tiny risk of dying or falling seriously ill. 

Many experts welcomed the move to vaccinate people in younger age groups as 'sensible' and 'another piece of the jigsaw for the UK to return to some kind of normality'. 

But others attacked it for being 'too little, too late' because younger people cannot be double-jabbed before the autumn term. A group of 18 top scientists called for vaccines to be rolled out to over-12s immediately.

More than eight in ten Britons support the move, polling suggests, including more than 50 per cent of people who strongly support offering jabs to the younger age groups. 

Some countries - including the US and Israel - have already started, which made Britain an outlier in so far only vaccinating the most at-risk over-12s. 

The JCVI, which advises No10, last month ruled only over-12s with serious underlying health conditions or who live with a vulnerable adult should get jabs.

Officials are keen to push the immunisation drive on to more youngsters in order to prevent an autumn surge in infections when they return to schools in September.  

Britain's Covid cases rose by five per cent in a week today to 29,312, the first time they have gone up in almost two weeks. Another 119 deaths were also recorded, which was up 30 per cent in seven days.

Popular posts from this blog

Study Abroad USA, College of Charleston, Popular Courses, Alumni

Thinking for Study Abroad USA. School of Charleston, the wonderful grounds is situated in the actual middle of a verifiable city - Charleston. Get snatched up by the wonderful and customary engineering, beautiful pathways, or look at the advanced steel and glass building which houses the School of Business. The grounds additionally gives students simple admittance to a few major tech organizations like Amazon's CreateSpace, Google, TwitPic, and so on. The school offers students nearby as well as off-grounds convenience going from completely outfitted home lobbies to memorable homes. It is prepared to offer different types of assistance and facilities like clubs, associations, sporting exercises, support administrations, etc. To put it plainly, the school grounds is rising with energy and there will never be a dull second for students at the College of Charleston. Concentrate on Abroad USA is improving and remunerating for your future. The energetic grounds likewise houses various

Best MBA Online Colleges in the USA

“Opportunities never open, instead we create them for us”. Beginning with this amazing saying, let’s unbox today’s knowledge. Love Business and marketing? Want to make a high-paid career in business administration? Well, if yes, then mate, we have got you something amazing to do!   We all imagine an effortless future with a cozy house and a laptop. Well, well! You can make this happen. Today, with this guide, we will be exploring some of the top-notch online MBA universities and institutes in the USA. Let’s get started! Why learn Online MBA from the USA? Access to More Options This online era has given a second chance to children who want to reflect on their careers while managing their hectic schedules. In this, the internet has played a very crucial in rejuvenating schools, institutes, and colleges to give the best education to students across the globe. Graduating with Less Debt Regular classes from high reputed institutes often charge heavy tuition fees. However onl

Sickening moment maskless 'Karen' COUGHS in the face of grocery store customer, then claims she doesn't have to wear a mask because she 'isn't sick'

A woman was captured on camera following a customer through a supermarket as she coughs on her after claiming she does not need a mask because she is not sick.  Video of the incident, which has garnered hundreds of thousands of views on Twitter alone, allegedly took place in a Su per Saver in Lincoln, Nebraska according to Twitter user @davenewworld_2. In it, an unidentified woman was captured dramatically coughing as she smiles saying 'Excuse me! I'm coming through' in the direction of the customer recording her. Scroll down for video An unidentified woman was captured dramatically coughing as she smiles saying 'Excuse me! I'm coming through' in the direction of a woman recording her A woman was captured on camera following a customer as she coughs on her in a supermarket without a mask on claiming she does not need one because she is not sick @chaiteabugz #karen #covid #karens #karensgonewild #karensalert #masks we were just wearing a mask at the store. ¿ o