105-year-old bacon woman: I love it says elderly woman

105-year-old bacon  woman revealed her love for bacon is making news today. The woman says that the key to her good health (well in to her 100's) is, you guessed it, bacon. On May 7, The Raw Story reported that Pearl Cantrell's love of bacon not only makes her happy but it also keeps her going.

"I love bacon, I eat it everyday. I don’t feel as old as I am, that’s all I can say. I love bacon, I could eat it for every meal — and I do," said Cantrell. Her age and her obsession with the delicious crispy pork pieces scored her a visit from the Oscar Mayer Wienermobile and it's making her a bacon celebrity across the internet.

The 105-year-old bacon woman couldn't wait to tell everyone just how much she loves bacon. Perhaps she shares that sentiment with millions of other people who truly believe that bacon makes everything better -- because, really. It does. Cantrell spoke with a local news station which is what really put her -- and her bacon -- on the map.

"Pearl Cantrell’s love of bacon is so strong that the Oscar Mayer Wienermobile made a stop through town last week to wish her a happy birthday, all because she told a local news station her amazing secret," The Raw Story reported.

The 105-year-old woman who simply loves bacon is from Richland, Texas.

Megyn Kelly Fox News

Megyn Kelly Fox News - Two of the best-known anchors on the Fox News Channel, Greta Van Susteren and Megyn Kelly, have renewed their contracts, possibly foreshadowing the first change to the channel’s prime time schedule in over a decade.

Ms. Van Susteren, who signed a long-term contract this week, according to her husband, John Coale, may move out of the 10 p.m. time slot that she has held since 2002. That would open up the hour for Ms. Kelly, now an afternoon anchor, who has long been mentioned as a candidate for a prime time position.

Mr. Coale, a lawyer who represents Ms. Van Susteren in contract negotiations, said he was not aware of any impending scheduling changes. But in a brief telephone interview on Tuesday, he suggested that she would happily move to an earlier hour, perhaps sometime later this year.

Mr. Coale learned in December that he had cancer. (Ms. Van Susteren wrote a blog post about his condition in February, after he had surgery; she did not specify what type of cancer he had.) He is recovering now, he said on Tuesday, and, “I’d like to spend some quality time with my wife, at least before 11 p.m.” He emphasized that he was speaking for himself, not for Ms. Van Susteren, who declined to comment when reached via e-mail.

A prime time change would be, by Fox News scheduling standards, seismic; the channel has had a remarkably consistent lineup of hosts and shows, much to the chagrin of competitors like MSNBC and CNN, which have not. Fox also has its two biggest stars, the 8 p.m. host Bill O’Reilly and the 9 p.m. host Sean Hannity, under contract for several more years.

A Fox spokeswoman, asked to confirm the new deals for Ms. Kelly and Ms. Van Susteren, said, “We will neither confirm nor deny any contract discussions.” Several other people with knowledge of the situation said that Ms. Kelly had renewed her contract. Some of her fans congratulated her on Twitter on Tuesday afternoon after reading about it online.

The people spoke on condition of anonymity because contract talks are usually conducted in secret.

Although some contract renewals are mere formalities, Ms. Kelly’s was not; her future has been the subject of media speculation since late last year. She met with the heads of at least two other television networks. But she decided to stay at Fox News, where she has hosted the two-hour afternoon program “America Live” and co-anchored special reports on election nights for the last three years.

She was widely noticed on election night last year when she walked through the corridors of Fox and asked the channel’s voting analysts about Karl Rove’s assertions that the channel had called Ohio for President Obama prematurely. They, not surprisingly, defended their decision. The moment became a viral hit and bolstered Ms. Kelly’s personal brand as a part of Fox’s news side, not its opinion side.

Not long after that, the chief executive of Fox News, Roger Ailes, acknowledged that “a lot of people will try to recruit her” when her contract came due.

In an interview with TVNewser, Mr. Ailes said, “We’d love her to stay here and be even a bigger star.” He added: “I’d be stunned if she wanted to go to any other cable channel. That’s a real dive off a high cliff. If somebody wanted her to host the ‘Today’ show or something, she’d have to look at that, I suppose.”

Earlier this year, Ms. Kelly spoke with other channels, including CNN, which was very interested in hiring her, according to one of the people who spoke on condition of anonymity. Her representatives also sought a number of meetings with executives at ABC, stirring speculation that she might be in contention for a spot on “Good Morning America.” But “G.M.A.,” the newly No. 1 network morning show, led by Robin Roberts and George Stephanopoulos, has a rather full bench at the moment, and ABC’s conversations with Ms. Kelly went nowhere.

Ms. Kelly’s 1 to 3 p.m. program was watched by an average of 1.1 million viewers in the first quarter of the year, slightly more than the programs before and after it. Prime time hours are more coveted than daytime hours because they generally have higher ratings; Mr. O’Reilly, for instance, attracted nearly three million viewers a night in the first quarter.

But Ms. Van Susteren’s 10 p.m. program, “On the Record,” has been a sore spot on the channel’s schedule. The program had an average of 1.43 million viewers in the first quarter. In the demographic that matters most to advertisers, viewers ages 25 to 54, Ms. Van Susteren attracted 250,000 a night, only 35,000 more than her competitor on MSNBC, Lawrence O’Donnell. At the end of the quarter, MSNBC said in a news release that Fox’s “On the Record” had recorded its “worst quarterly performance ever.”

Still, as Ms. Van Susteren has noted on her blog as recently as last month, the show “has been No. 1 for 11 plus years” among total viewers, a winning streak that has few parallels in the news industry.

One of the people with knowledge of the situation cautioned on Tuesday that “nothing’s decided.”

Another person noted that no change was imminent because Ms. Kelly is pregnant with her third child. She said in February that her baby was due this summer. Mr. Ailes, meanwhile, has one other contract negotiation coming up this year.

33-year-old GM hired

33-year-old GM hired earlier on Tuesday, word was filtering around the usual NBA circles that the Phoenix Suns were attempting to hire Los Angeles Clippers forward Grant Hill as the team’s new general manager. That potential hire would come on the heels of the disastrous regime of since-fired GM Lance Blanks, and the work of another big name ex-player in Steve Kerr. It appeared that the Suns, as run by former Hill representative Lon Babby, were diving deep into business as usual.

It turns out that the team has decided to decidedly mix things up. Former Boston Celtics assistant GM Ryan McDonough is the team’s new personnel chief, and he’ll have quite the task ahead of him. The Phoenix Suns haven’t made the playoffs since 2010, and the team’s roster is filled with middling players with middle of the road contracts that, combined in an unholy alliance, only managed to win 25 games in 2012-13. The team has no coach. The team’s assistant coaching staff mostly quit in disgust last winter. Michael Beasley’s checks have the Phoenix Suns logo in the top corner. There is a lot of work to be done. Latimes reports

And Ryan McDonough is 33 years-old. He, like a lot of us, had junior high-styled lawn mowing duties the last time the Suns made the Finals in 1993. He is the same age as Suns forward Luis Scola, and younger than Suns center Jermaine O’Neal.

He’s also, probably, the best hire the Suns could hope to make.
SB Nation’s brilliant Paul Flannery penned the go-to feature on McDonough earlier this year, pointing to the longtime Celtics employee (son of the fantastic former Boston Globe sportswriter Will McDonough) as the new face of the future NBA GM. Flannery’s piece is well worth your entire read, and here are just a few snippets:

When McDonough arrived in the winter of 2003, he found a scattered department. Even calling it a department may be a bit of a stretch. "It wasn’t so much a room as just a collection of loose VHS tapes," he says. "My job was, one, to get more tapes because there weren’t that many.

Also organize and edit what we had in a more efficient manner."
"Whether it’s your visual observations, statistical analysis, information you gather on background and personality, if you’re not using all that information you’re at a disadvantage," McDonough says. "The trick is how do you weigh all of that? More importantly where is that information coming from? Over time you figure out individually what’s most important to you as an evaluator and everybody does that differently."
[…]
The front office was small, just GM Chris Wallace and his assistant, a legendary Boston hoops figure named Leo Papile. McDonough made an impression on Wallace immediately.

"I thought he was a basketball junkie," says Wallace. "He loved this stuff. Totally immersed in it, which I think is one of the prerequisites for working in the NBA. Second, he had been around big-time sports at so many levels and association because of his father and his brothers. Third, he was very diligent, hard, hard worker who would do whatever it takes to get the job done and succeed."
[…]
He’s part of a new breed of talent evaluators who have been making inroads into the highest level of the NBA in recent years. His peers include men like Sam Presti in Oklahoma City, Masai Ujiri in Denver and Rob Hennigan in Orlando -- men who have already made the jump to running their own franchises. McDonough may get that chance one day as well. "He’s very good at what he does," Celtics coach Doc Rivers says. "He’ll be a GM. There’s no doubt about that."

Well, McDonough is a GM, now. And as skilled as the man is, there is a massive jump between, um, a suggester and a decider. Strategery is key.

There is scouting – identifying the right player at the right price within the correct context of an offseason, draft, or trade deadline – and there is GM’ing. “GM’ing” involves badgering Sam Presti until he sends you James Harden, it involves pouncing on a freaked-out front office that just saw a Chris Paul deal overruled because of “basketball reasons,” and it means developing a level of patience that somehow outlasts the long summer.
I can’t overstate how valuable that last part is.

It’s that last part that gets in the way when owners want to spend quickly and freely on the sort of mid-level contracts (Josh Childress, Channing Frye, and the Phoenix list goes on …) that have dotted the Suns roster over the last eight years, quick and insubstantial moves that later deny the team a chance at help when it counts pennies and declines to keep a first round pick. It’s the sort of patience that allows you to ride out a player as he explores restricted free agency after his rookie contract finishes. It’s the sort of patience that stops you from meddling or talking yourself into moves that could potentially lead to 42 wins in the heat of August. It’s a dry heat, in Phoenix. There are ways to get through this.

Will Ryan McDonough, upon moving from the trusted knowledge-spewer to the leader of men, be able to thrive given his newfound power? That remains to be seen. The NBA offseason is a bit of a candy store, and though the Suns ownership has proven to be cheap and hypocritical in the past, it can be talked into contracts.
McDonough isn’t coming into this ill-suited for the gig, though. He’s put in the hours, preparing for a chance like this.

Suns fans have put in the hours as well, especially during a Steve Nash-less 2012-13. They’re ready for the quick fix. Ryan McDonough has to be the one that tells them that the NBA doesn’t exactly work that way.

33-year-old GM hired: GM Hired By Phoenix Suns After Poor Season

33-year-old GM hired by the professional basketball team Phoenix Suns on Tuesday after the team fell to the bottom of the NBA’s Western Conference in 2013. The Suns have hired Ryan McDonough to replace Lance Blanks as the teams new general manager in hopes of improving on a 25-57 record from this season.

Hiring McDonough instantly raised questions as it’s rare to find a team with executives in their 30′s. Dating back to the creation of the league, only a few men have been named the general manager of an NBA team at such a young age, including Rick Sund and Rob Hennigan.

Sund was named the Dallas Mavericks general manager in 1979 at the age of 28 to become the youngest ever to hold such a position. Hennigan is currently the youngest to oversee a team at 30-years-old. He we named the Orlando Magic’s general manager in 2012 and they have stuck with him ever since.

McDonough will join the Phoenix Suns after three years as assistant general manager for the Boston Celtics. The newly appointed executive worked his way up after joining the Celtics as a special assistant to basketball operations at 23-years-old. The Suns may have brought in a young guy, but this guy happens to have a lot of experience in an NBA front office. Abclocal reported

The Phoenix Suns are coming off their second worst record in franchise history, so it can’t be all that bad when they have a 33-year-old GM hired and ready to add some life to the organization.

They fired Lance Blanks on April 22nd and have now found themselves a man who was involved in two NBA title runs with the Celtics, including a championship in 2008.

Suns President of Basketball Operations Lon Babby released a statement about their newest employee and he looks to be very excited to have McDonough come aboard.

“Ryan distinguished himself among an impressive group of candidates for our GM position,” he said. “His natural leadership and communication skills will serve the Suns well.”

Now with a leader in the office they can focus on finding a leader for the court. Once the NBA playoffs are over, players will start varying their options and the Suns will do the same as they look to rebound after a terrible season in 2013 with their new 33-year-old GM hired and ready to go.

Colorado Massacre Suspect Pursues Insanity Defense

Defense lawyers for James E. Holmes, the former graduate student charged with opening fire on a packed Aurora movie theater last summer, said in court filings Tuesday that he intended to plead not guilty by reason of insanity in the attack. Mr. Holmes, who is accused of killing 12 people and wounding dozens more, will enter the plea at hearing next week, his lawyers said. He faces 166 counts of murder, attempted murder and other charges, and prosecutors announced last month that they intended to seek the death penalty. Earlier this year, after Mr. Holmes’s defense team said it was not ready to enter a plea, Judge William B. Sylvester entered a standard not guilty plea on Mr. Holmes’s behalf. But defense lawyers have long signaled they would mount an insanity defense, saying in court documents and during a preliminary hearing that Mr. Holmes was mentally ill at the time of the attack. A new judge in the case, Carlos A. Samour Jr., will rule on the plea change