Skip to main content

Six Nations 2012: George North exclusive

9

View comments

The RBS Six Nations kicks off this weekend with the focus on a new look England. However, in Wales one young man has already made himself a star. And here Sportmail's new columnist George North opens up about life at the top of the game.

The World Cup was one hell of an experience

It feels like years ago now but I will keep hold of it — my first World Cup, my first full competition for my country.

Welcome: George North has signed up as Sportsmail's Six Nations columnist

With Ireland approaching we’ve looked back and spoken about that quarter-final. It was probably our best performance but in some ways Samoa was more significant. It was  must-win, we were getting smashed up by these massive Islanders and we still came away with the victory. The whole team grew in confidence after that.

I owe the supporters a thank you

Like all the players and the management, I really do want to thank the fans for their incredible support and for being so passionate while we were out there.

It doesn’t take a genius to work out there is pressure on us now after how well we performed and it did help probably being out of the picture for a little bit, just free to get our training done and get our prep in.

Personally, I try not to listen to any hype too much because it can get in the way of training.   

Powering through: North is one of the most exciting in his position in the world

The Poland training camps are as much a mental as physical battle

Early mornings, long days. The work was similar to our pre-World Cup training camps but we couldn’t do the same volume because it was a shorter turnaround.

It was so cold in Gdansk that nobody really wanted to be there but we know it is all for a good purpose so you just get on with it.

The day starts at 6am with ‘monitoring’, which is a weigh-in and your saliva and urine tests for hydration levels, then the first session in the gym starts an hour later. We did a fitness session on the beach — it was so cold there was snow on the sand. I couldn’t get my head around that.

Work ethic was always important to me because it had to be... 

I believe it’s my work ethic that has got me here today. In Wales, there is a lot of competition to get a look-in and being from North Wales meant I didn’t get many chances.

The geography means all of the rugby is based in Newport, Llanelli, Swansea and Cardiff. It is better now but we hardly got any chance to play in South Wales so taking your chances was key. It’s something I’ve always believed in: if you work hard you’re rewarded.

They are moving Under 20 home Six Nations matches to North Wales now which will be a great thing.

…it was something I learned from my old man

Both my parents have had a massive impact on my life. My dad always said: ‘When you’ve got a chance, work until you’ve nothing left because you might not get another.’

I have an older brother and two older sisters who are the complete opposite to me. The joke in the family is that my brother got the brains and I got the brawn. He’s the A-class student and I’m the A-class lump.

I lost my wooden spoon at the World Cup

The youngest player in the squad has to carry a giant wooden spoon. In the last week I lost it. Ninety-two hours later — and about 12 room raids — I finally found it in Adam Jones’ room. It cost me three figures in fines and the boys wound me up. I wasn’t happy. It kept changing hands and I was always just behind it.

Get in shape: The Wales embarked on a challenging training camp in Poland, which included cryotherapy chambers

We don’t stay in camp all week

It varies depending on our schedule. We generally go home on Wednesday and Thursday but away games are different. I’ve never played in Dublin but it’s probably the closest game for my family because they still live in North Wales.

The boys have been telling me it’s a great stadium to play in and it will be two countries who love to play. They play physical and they play fast but they like to play rugby. It’s one of those you wish you could watch sometimes!

I’m a member of ‘the original wolf pack’... 

...but I can’t tell you any more! It’s on my Twitter page and it’s between me and my team-mates. I’m not very good at gaming, but I like to get online and play with the boys - a bit of Call of Duty and a bit of FIFA. It’s supposed to be rest time but I’m sure some of the boys’ heart-rates should not go that high on a day off.

I want to play a bit of golf but I don’t have enough time off. I won’t mention my handicap because I haven’t played in so long but Rhys Priestland is a bit of a golfer.

Tribute: North has hailed the retired Shane Williams

I am wary of ‘second-season’ syndrome

It's something a lot of players go through and something I want to minimalize. There is going to be a lot of expectation and I’ve got to deal with it.

It’ll be OK as long as I don’t forget why I’m there - if you lose focus you lose out. Does that make sense or do I sound like a nut case?

I’m not too bad on the superstitions

Compared to my team-mates, at least. I start off with my left sock, then my right sock, left boot, right boot, then I pull my socks up and tie my laces in the same order, left then right. That’s the one thing I have to do before I go on to the pitch.

Shane Williams is a great loss - for me and for Wales

Ask any Welsh wing at any level who is your favourite player and I guarantee you nine out of 10 will say ‘Shane Williams’. I learned so much from him, watching him, playing against him, playing with him, even talking to the guy.

But if he felt it was time to retire then I back him to the hilt. The boys are winding me up saying he’s the new agility guru coming in to teach us to side step.

Injuries are the nature of the beast

This run of bad luck has felt like a bit of a low blow but you can’t get away from playing rugby without getting injuries. It’s bound to happen and we’ve just got to manage them and work around them.

The quality we’ve got means those who come in can still do the same job. Every dog has its day. It all comes back to that lesson: if you have a chance, you take it.

 

George North is supporting RBS RugbyForce, the community rugby programme that is improving club facilities across the nation. To register your club for the RBS RugbyForce Weekend on June 2 and 3, visit: www.rbs.com/rugbyforce

Getting to know George North

I'm not a massive fan of books but I am reading 61 Hours by Lee Child which was given to me by a close friend Andy McCann. It's taking me ages to get through because I read a chapter and then fall asleep.

I don’t have any quirky pastimes but I have started collecting the key cards from hotels. It’s not like I have to, only if I remember.

I have a cat and a dog. The dog is called Bess and the cat is called Splodge - don’t ask, it’s a very long story.

Wolf pack: Despite being the youngest, North is a key member of the dressing room

I don’t really have a favourite holiday destination. I don’t really have enough time if I’m honest. Hopefully after the Six Nations I’ll get some rays on a beach and relax, or go home and see the family in sunny North Wales.

I watch a lot of DVDs and try to go to the cinema as much as I can. It’s a great way to chill out. I’m more into action and comedy - but I can’t stand horror movies.

When I was growing up I really played every sport I could. I didn’t play anything to a high level really, but I just couldn’t  bear to be still for very long.

  More... England's new breed are fired up and ready for Scotland Here's our team... and we're coming to get you in the cauldron of Murrayfield World of Rugby: Saint-Andre must not shy away from being French The Enforcers! Have the TV monitors and citing neutered all rugby's hard men?





Popular posts from this blog

Study Abroad USA, College of Charleston, Popular Courses, Alumni

Thinking for Study Abroad USA. School of Charleston, the wonderful grounds is situated in the actual middle of a verifiable city - Charleston. Get snatched up by the wonderful and customary engineering, beautiful pathways, or look at the advanced steel and glass building which houses the School of Business. The grounds additionally gives students simple admittance to a few major tech organizations like Amazon's CreateSpace, Google, TwitPic, and so on. The school offers students nearby as well as off-grounds convenience going from completely outfitted home lobbies to memorable homes. It is prepared to offer different types of assistance and facilities like clubs, associations, sporting exercises, support administrations, etc. To put it plainly, the school grounds is rising with energy and there will never be a dull second for students at the College of Charleston. Concentrate on Abroad USA is improving and remunerating for your future. The energetic grounds likewise houses various

Best MBA Online Colleges in the USA

“Opportunities never open, instead we create them for us”. Beginning with this amazing saying, let’s unbox today’s knowledge. Love Business and marketing? Want to make a high-paid career in business administration? Well, if yes, then mate, we have got you something amazing to do!   We all imagine an effortless future with a cozy house and a laptop. Well, well! You can make this happen. Today, with this guide, we will be exploring some of the top-notch online MBA universities and institutes in the USA. Let’s get started! Why learn Online MBA from the USA? Access to More Options This online era has given a second chance to children who want to reflect on their careers while managing their hectic schedules. In this, the internet has played a very crucial in rejuvenating schools, institutes, and colleges to give the best education to students across the globe. Graduating with Less Debt Regular classes from high reputed institutes often charge heavy tuition fees. However onl

Sickening moment maskless 'Karen' COUGHS in the face of grocery store customer, then claims she doesn't have to wear a mask because she 'isn't sick'

A woman was captured on camera following a customer through a supermarket as she coughs on her after claiming she does not need a mask because she is not sick.  Video of the incident, which has garnered hundreds of thousands of views on Twitter alone, allegedly took place in a Su per Saver in Lincoln, Nebraska according to Twitter user @davenewworld_2. In it, an unidentified woman was captured dramatically coughing as she smiles saying 'Excuse me! I'm coming through' in the direction of the customer recording her. Scroll down for video An unidentified woman was captured dramatically coughing as she smiles saying 'Excuse me! I'm coming through' in the direction of a woman recording her A woman was captured on camera following a customer as she coughs on her in a supermarket without a mask on claiming she does not need one because she is not sick @chaiteabugz #karen #covid #karens #karensgonewild #karensalert #masks we were just wearing a mask at the store. ¿ o