Skip to main content

British and Irish Lions: George North says being selected hasn't sunk in

0 shares 7

View comments

Tuesday was probably one of the most surreal days of my whole life. Hearing my name being called out live on television as a British and Irish Lion simply hasn't sunk in yet.

It is the biggest accolade for any player from these shores - all the years of hard work growing up, the history and prestige of a Lions tour, the players who have worn that red shirt - to hear your name being announced is like nothing else.

I don't think it will feel real until I am lucky enough to pull on that jersey and play my first game on the tour. My first memory of the Lions is seeing Brian O'Driscoll's performance in the first Test against Australia in 2001.

Disbelief: George North holds up his British and Irish Lions jersey after being confirmed

I was watching at home, screaming at the TV with my mum and dad - and now I might soon have the honour of playing alongside him! The night before the announcement, I thought I'd struggle to sleep, but I was so knackered from training that I was OK.

I did wake up at 6am and it was all I could think about. They moved around the training schedule at the Scarlets so we could all watch the announcement as a squad. I had rehab first thing in the morning, where I just tried to keep my head down and get stuck in to stay distracted.

After some unit work with the backs, we finished and headed up to the team room, where the announcement was put on the big screen. It was the most intense 20 minutes of my life and my legs were bouncing up and down on the spot - I couldn't control them.

They named Alex Cuthbert first and then moved on to Sean Maitland. I then thought the last spot was probably down to me and Tim Visser, and I was the last wing to be read out, which was terrifying! All the boys screamed, and it was such a relief.

First up: Alex Cuthbert and Sean Maitland (right) were named before North's name was read out

'It is the biggest accolade for any player from these shores. To hear your name being announced is like nothing else'

 

Then we hushed down again to hear the rest of the announcement and another Scarlet, Jonathan Davies, was named as a Lions centre. He also got a huge round of applause from the squad.

We had a break for food before the next training session, and my phone was going berserk. I had a chance to call mum and dad, who were over the moon for me - they hadn't dared to look into flights to Australia but I think they will today!

My parents have seen all the years of hard slog and training; they've seen me try to climb up stairs on a Sunday morning after a game unable to stand up straight. It has been a funny build-up to the announcement and it is nice to be able to use the 'L-word' again.

Every player from every country gets measured for kit during the Six Nations simply because there is so much to be made in such a short space of time. I'm so superstitious that I didn't even dare look in the mirror with the red shirt on.

Coy: Sam Warburton did not tell North that he was captain ahead of the announcement

Two weeks ago, about 50 or so players received a letter to make sure that we all had kept the tour dates clear. I opened it and shut it straight away. I spent the weekend with Sam (Warburton) and he didn't tell me that he was captain.

We drove up to Ryan Jones's testimonial dinner in Llangollen together - and he didn't mention it. Obviously I was teasing him about it, but he gave nothing away.

&


Popular posts from this blog

Study Abroad USA, College of Charleston, Popular Courses, Alumni

Thinking for Study Abroad USA. School of Charleston, the wonderful grounds is situated in the actual middle of a verifiable city - Charleston. Get snatched up by the wonderful and customary engineering, beautiful pathways, or look at the advanced steel and glass building which houses the School of Business. The grounds additionally gives students simple admittance to a few major tech organizations like Amazon's CreateSpace, Google, TwitPic, and so on. The school offers students nearby as well as off-grounds convenience going from completely outfitted home lobbies to memorable homes. It is prepared to offer different types of assistance and facilities like clubs, associations, sporting exercises, support administrations, etc. To put it plainly, the school grounds is rising with energy and there will never be a dull second for students at the College of Charleston. Concentrate on Abroad USA is improving and remunerating for your future. The energetic grounds likewise houses various

Best MBA Online Colleges in the USA

“Opportunities never open, instead we create them for us”. Beginning with this amazing saying, let’s unbox today’s knowledge. Love Business and marketing? Want to make a high-paid career in business administration? Well, if yes, then mate, we have got you something amazing to do!   We all imagine an effortless future with a cozy house and a laptop. Well, well! You can make this happen. Today, with this guide, we will be exploring some of the top-notch online MBA universities and institutes in the USA. Let’s get started! Why learn Online MBA from the USA? Access to More Options This online era has given a second chance to children who want to reflect on their careers while managing their hectic schedules. In this, the internet has played a very crucial in rejuvenating schools, institutes, and colleges to give the best education to students across the globe. Graduating with Less Debt Regular classes from high reputed institutes often charge heavy tuition fees. However onl

Sickening moment maskless 'Karen' COUGHS in the face of grocery store customer, then claims she doesn't have to wear a mask because she 'isn't sick'

A woman was captured on camera following a customer through a supermarket as she coughs on her after claiming she does not need a mask because she is not sick.  Video of the incident, which has garnered hundreds of thousands of views on Twitter alone, allegedly took place in a Su per Saver in Lincoln, Nebraska according to Twitter user @davenewworld_2. In it, an unidentified woman was captured dramatically coughing as she smiles saying 'Excuse me! I'm coming through' in the direction of the customer recording her. Scroll down for video An unidentified woman was captured dramatically coughing as she smiles saying 'Excuse me! I'm coming through' in the direction of a woman recording her A woman was captured on camera following a customer as she coughs on her in a supermarket without a mask on claiming she does not need one because she is not sick @chaiteabugz #karen #covid #karens #karensgonewild #karensalert #masks we were just wearing a mask at the store. ¿ o