Skip to main content

Liz Jones's diary: In which I muddy the water

0 shares 130

View comments

Liz giving Mini a warm soapy wash in a bucket

I let Mini Puppy off the lead for her morning walk, and by 4.30pm she was still motoring up and down the lane, oblivious to my entreaties.

I just could not catch her. Eventually, she turned up at the front door, absolutely soaking, fur on end like Sonic the Hedgehog, filthy dirty.

As my house is rented, I have become even more obsessed than usual about cleanliness. I won’t buy kiwi fruit, ever, as they leave little hairy speckles in the fruit bowl.

So I went out to join Mini with a bucket of warm soapy water and a towel. Having washed her, I reached for the towel and in that split second she dashed indoors. ‘Mini Pupp!’ I shouted. ‘Nooooo!’

But in that moment she had violently shaken her fur, splattering the cream walls and cream carpet with dirty water. I ran towards her, meaning to usher her into the kitchen, and she cowered on the floor.

I must appear so full of rage to them, my animals, for her to do that, though I have never smacked her, and never would. No wonder Michael the sheepdog has a skin allergy.

It hasn’t been as easy as I had hoped, this transition, this downsizing. Small things keep going wrong. I bought a Miele vacuum cleaner, to cope with the dog and cat hair, and then the wrong dust bag turned up; I must have chosen the wrong one, but then why give me so many options?

My dog Gracie had chewed through the hose on its back. Then, on the way to pick up horse feed, the back windscreen of the Land Rover shattered.

Today, alone again looking after the horses, I was wheeling hay to the field, and the string from the bale wound round the barrow’s wheel, like Isadora Duncan’s scarf, so it won’t turn at all. I had to carry the bale across the field, hands frozen, falling over and over again.

The shower leaks, and dribbles hot water. The gas for the heating here costs £260 a month. My final electricity bill for the farm was £2,500, despite the fact I paid three, four hundred pounds every quarter. My laptop broke, and the insurance people say it’s not covered.

I went to use my spare, the white laptop my husband bought me when he was feeling guilty about his affairs and was yet to confess to them, but it wouldn’t switch on; only then did I notice the cable was covered in teeth marks.

Lizzie the ex-racehorse has yet another abscess. 

  More... Liz Jones's diary: In which I have to 'regroup' Liz Jones's diary: In which I take a snow check Liz Jones's diary: In which I get a proposition

This is why my relationships never work. They are never perfect, unspeckled.

Only this time it is me, not him, who is spoiling things. Just as a child I never invited other children round to tea, as I was ashamed of the threadbare three-piece suite, the peeling paint on the windows, so now I’m ashamed at what has happened to me.

I am so loath to live with the RS* because I don’t want him sucked into this mire, into a place where everything goes wrong.

Nic, my assistant, keeps saying that things happen for a reason, but I don’t know that they do. It all seems so random.

 I am loath to live with him because I don’t want him sucked into this mire

I feel that no matter what I do, however hard I try, I will never claw myself out of the mud, both literal and metaphorical. I keep saying to myself, in the dead of night, ‘How did this happen to me?’

On Friday night, I went to meet my friend Issy in the pub. She told me a spooky story. Her friend has just lost her dad. She was in his house, going through his things, and found a picture she had drawn as a small child. It was a large, pink paper crown, the sort you get in a Christmas cracker, and next to it she had written, in crayon, the word ‘heaven’.

She emailed a photo of this to Issy, followed by another email, the photo she had taken of her dad at Christmas, just a couple of days before he died.

In the photo, he is wearing a large pink paper crown. I wonder if our destiny is waiting for us, even when we are six or seven. It is all laid out. It unfolds, like a cream carpet.

Popular posts from this blog

Study Abroad USA, College of Charleston, Popular Courses, Alumni

Thinking for Study Abroad USA. School of Charleston, the wonderful grounds is situated in the actual middle of a verifiable city - Charleston. Get snatched up by the wonderful and customary engineering, beautiful pathways, or look at the advanced steel and glass building which houses the School of Business. The grounds additionally gives students simple admittance to a few major tech organizations like Amazon's CreateSpace, Google, TwitPic, and so on. The school offers students nearby as well as off-grounds convenience going from completely outfitted home lobbies to memorable homes. It is prepared to offer different types of assistance and facilities like clubs, associations, sporting exercises, support administrations, etc. To put it plainly, the school grounds is rising with energy and there will never be a dull second for students at the College of Charleston. Concentrate on Abroad USA is improving and remunerating for your future. The energetic grounds likewise houses various

Best MBA Online Colleges in the USA

“Opportunities never open, instead we create them for us”. Beginning with this amazing saying, let’s unbox today’s knowledge. Love Business and marketing? Want to make a high-paid career in business administration? Well, if yes, then mate, we have got you something amazing to do!   We all imagine an effortless future with a cozy house and a laptop. Well, well! You can make this happen. Today, with this guide, we will be exploring some of the top-notch online MBA universities and institutes in the USA. Let’s get started! Why learn Online MBA from the USA? Access to More Options This online era has given a second chance to children who want to reflect on their careers while managing their hectic schedules. In this, the internet has played a very crucial in rejuvenating schools, institutes, and colleges to give the best education to students across the globe. Graduating with Less Debt Regular classes from high reputed institutes often charge heavy tuition fees. However onl

Sickening moment maskless 'Karen' COUGHS in the face of grocery store customer, then claims she doesn't have to wear a mask because she 'isn't sick'

A woman was captured on camera following a customer through a supermarket as she coughs on her after claiming she does not need a mask because she is not sick.  Video of the incident, which has garnered hundreds of thousands of views on Twitter alone, allegedly took place in a Su per Saver in Lincoln, Nebraska according to Twitter user @davenewworld_2. In it, an unidentified woman was captured dramatically coughing as she smiles saying 'Excuse me! I'm coming through' in the direction of the customer recording her. Scroll down for video An unidentified woman was captured dramatically coughing as she smiles saying 'Excuse me! I'm coming through' in the direction of a woman recording her A woman was captured on camera following a customer as she coughs on her in a supermarket without a mask on claiming she does not need one because she is not sick @chaiteabugz #karen #covid #karens #karensgonewild #karensalert #masks we were just wearing a mask at the store. ¿ o