Skip to main content

Dancer, 32, who lost part of her leg in Boston bombing vows



A dance instructor who lost part of her leg in the deadly bomb attacks at the Boston Marathon has vowed to dance again - and run in next year's event.

Doctors were unable to save Adrianne Haslet-Davis' left foot after she was hit by the second bomb as she watched the race last week, and they amputated her leg five inches below the knee.

Despite the life-changing surgery, the 32-year-old said she is not giving up on her passion.

'When I'm dancing, I don't feel the need to be doing anything else. My joy is complete,' she told the Boston Herald.

Scroll down for video




Determined: Dance teacher Adrianne Haslet-Davis lost part of her leg in the Boston bombings, but said she would dance again

'I can't let some[one] come along and steal my whole life. So, I'll dance again. And next year, though I've never been a runner, yes, I plan to run the marathon.'

Photographs provided by the Arthur Murray Studio in Park Plaza show the vibrant instructor doing what she does best – teaching others to move and looking graceful dancing herself.


Losing her foot was at the forefront of Haslet-Davis' mind when she and her husband, Air Force Capt. Adam Davis, felt the explosion - and she was driven by the refusal to lose it.


More...
Dramatic new Boston bomb images reveal heroic actions of man who carried his injured girlfriend to safety seconds after blast
Hundreds of people watch honor guard of firefighters salute Boston victim Krystle Campbell, 29, at emotional funeral
'Chilling' unreleased video clearly shows youngest Boston bomber placing backpack on floor and then calmly moving to a safe distance before it blows up

'I remember everything,' she told CNN. 'I remember the first bomb going off and holding onto Adam - my husband - and thinking, "I know there's never just one".

'I just knew something was about to happen and I started screaming. The second bomb went off.... and I remember falling backwards because of the impact.'




All smiles: Adrianne Haslet pictured dancing at the Arthur Murray Dance Center in Boston





Save the last dance: 'I'll dance again,' said the plucky dancer, adding that she plans to run a marathon next year





Coordinated: She works as a ballroom dance instructor





Safe: Her husband suffered shrapnel wounds but used his belt to make a tourniquet for her leg

She woke up certain that she was fine - until her husband gestured to her foot.

'I thought it was over,' she said. 'I lost around 80 per cent of the bone and muscle of my foot. I was bleeding profusely. I was very scared.'

The thought of losing her foot struck her immediately, and she said she felt determined to get help so that she would not become an amputee.

'I was determined to save my foot,' she said. 'I knew I could fight it or I could lay there on the sidewalk and bleed out, and that sounded awful and painful and horrible.'






Fighter: Adrianne said that as well as dancing again, she will run in next year's Boston marathon








Boston nurses' tales: Saving lives and collecting evidence


Her husband, who just returned from Afghanistan, pulled off his belt and used it as a tourniquet for his wife's wound. He was riddled with shrapnel but managed to drag Adrianne into a restaurant.

Despite the chaos around them, she took a moment to tell her husband what he meant to her.

'If this was going to be the last time we saw each other, I wanted him to know how much I loved him,' she told the Herald. 'Then I told him we'd make it through this, that I wasn't ready to leave him yet.'

She said that when she saw firefighters, she felt that she was going to be safe. She was taken to Boston Medical Center, where she underwent surgery.



Aftermath: Victims of the Boston Marathon bombings lie on the ground following the explosions on Monday

She awoke in hospital a day after the attacks and told her mother, Chauni, that her left foot felt numb.


'Adrianne,' her mother said gently. 'Dear, your left foot… it's gone.'

Despite knowing her life is forever changed, she is determined to return to her passion.


'Dancing is my life,' she said. 'Yeah, having my foot blown off, that really sucks. But I can't wallow in woe is me.'



Read more:
Dance instructor injured in bombing vows: 'I'll dance again' ... and run the marathon | Boston Herald

Popular posts from this blog

Study Abroad USA, College of Charleston, Popular Courses, Alumni

Thinking for Study Abroad USA. School of Charleston, the wonderful grounds is situated in the actual middle of a verifiable city - Charleston. Get snatched up by the wonderful and customary engineering, beautiful pathways, or look at the advanced steel and glass building which houses the School of Business. The grounds additionally gives students simple admittance to a few major tech organizations like Amazon's CreateSpace, Google, TwitPic, and so on. The school offers students nearby as well as off-grounds convenience going from completely outfitted home lobbies to memorable homes. It is prepared to offer different types of assistance and facilities like clubs, associations, sporting exercises, support administrations, etc. To put it plainly, the school grounds is rising with energy and there will never be a dull second for students at the College of Charleston. Concentrate on Abroad USA is improving and remunerating for your future. The energetic grounds likewise houses various

Best MBA Online Colleges in the USA

“Opportunities never open, instead we create them for us”. Beginning with this amazing saying, let’s unbox today’s knowledge. Love Business and marketing? Want to make a high-paid career in business administration? Well, if yes, then mate, we have got you something amazing to do!   We all imagine an effortless future with a cozy house and a laptop. Well, well! You can make this happen. Today, with this guide, we will be exploring some of the top-notch online MBA universities and institutes in the USA. Let’s get started! Why learn Online MBA from the USA? Access to More Options This online era has given a second chance to children who want to reflect on their careers while managing their hectic schedules. In this, the internet has played a very crucial in rejuvenating schools, institutes, and colleges to give the best education to students across the globe. Graduating with Less Debt Regular classes from high reputed institutes often charge heavy tuition fees. However onl

Sickening moment maskless 'Karen' COUGHS in the face of grocery store customer, then claims she doesn't have to wear a mask because she 'isn't sick'

A woman was captured on camera following a customer through a supermarket as she coughs on her after claiming she does not need a mask because she is not sick.  Video of the incident, which has garnered hundreds of thousands of views on Twitter alone, allegedly took place in a Su per Saver in Lincoln, Nebraska according to Twitter user @davenewworld_2. In it, an unidentified woman was captured dramatically coughing as she smiles saying 'Excuse me! I'm coming through' in the direction of the customer recording her. Scroll down for video An unidentified woman was captured dramatically coughing as she smiles saying 'Excuse me! I'm coming through' in the direction of a woman recording her A woman was captured on camera following a customer as she coughs on her in a supermarket without a mask on claiming she does not need one because she is not sick @chaiteabugz #karen #covid #karens #karensgonewild #karensalert #masks we were just wearing a mask at the store. ¿ o