Skip to main content

Emotional Barnsley boss Flitcroft hails late father



It was either tears or beaming smiles at many Football League venues on Saturday. For David Flitcroft, it was both.

A win for Hull at Oakwell would have sent them up and relegated Barnsley, but Flitcroft’s rejuvenated side live to fight another day after spectacular goals from Jacob Mellis and Chris O’Grady deservedly gave them the points.

Pride was mixed with poignancy for the Barnsley manager, though, as he reflected on a stunning revival since he took charge and described spending time at his father John’s graveside in Bolton en route to the game.

‘Anything I have done here is down to my upbringing,’ said the 39-year old, who has won nine and drawn six of 20 League games so far. ‘I had an incredible leader in my dad. My mum is an incredible woman. I’ve got a brilliant family, the best in the world.

‘My dad taught me work ethic, courage, never give up and if someone wants to fight you, fight them. If you don’t beat them, find another way to fight them. He always maintained that.

‘He died on this day five years ago, and I visited his grave this morning and spent some time with him before coming here for the game.





Emotional: Flitcroft hailed his late father after the game was over


Championship table

It has been an emotional day, but every day is special when my dad is around and in my thoughts. I do all this for my dad and my family.

‘He is still my driving force. He leads the family still. I have just got to make sure I do him proud and become the dad he was.

‘When you have been taught by great people, you can teach people yourself. That is what I want to do. I don’t just want to improve footballers. I think it is my challenge and my goal to improve people as human beings. I am close to the players, and I can see in their eyes they are giving everything.

‘A lot of Championship clubs have groups of players where there are factions or cliques, but not here. Ever since I arrived, I have been breeding that and making sure we bring the right characters to the club.


'If you get the right characters and lead them right, you get performances like today. When you’ve got the resources we’ve got, you have to have something different, and our difference is spirit. It is a team performance. It has to be. Teams at the top end of the division might have won games with individuals, but we haven’t got individuals who you can give 20 or 30 grand to.

‘We’ve got players who have come up from League Two or One and are fighting for the chance to stay in the Championship.



Pure delight: Barnsley fans run on to the pitch after the crucial win

'Today was supposed to be party time for Hull, but we simply wouldn’t allow it.’ Hull could never compete with that resolve and now need to at least match Watford’s result next weekend to go up automatically.‘We’re not mentally shot,’ said defiant manager Steve Bruce. ‘We’ve had a bad week, but to call them mentally shot is an insult to them. We haven’t handled the situation as well as I’d like, but I’m quietly confident we’ll still produce a performance next week to get over the line

Popular posts from this blog

Study Abroad USA, College of Charleston, Popular Courses, Alumni

Thinking for Study Abroad USA. School of Charleston, the wonderful grounds is situated in the actual middle of a verifiable city - Charleston. Get snatched up by the wonderful and customary engineering, beautiful pathways, or look at the advanced steel and glass building which houses the School of Business. The grounds additionally gives students simple admittance to a few major tech organizations like Amazon's CreateSpace, Google, TwitPic, and so on. The school offers students nearby as well as off-grounds convenience going from completely outfitted home lobbies to memorable homes. It is prepared to offer different types of assistance and facilities like clubs, associations, sporting exercises, support administrations, etc. To put it plainly, the school grounds is rising with energy and there will never be a dull second for students at the College of Charleston. Concentrate on Abroad USA is improving and remunerating for your future. The energetic grounds likewise houses various

Best MBA Online Colleges in the USA

“Opportunities never open, instead we create them for us”. Beginning with this amazing saying, let’s unbox today’s knowledge. Love Business and marketing? Want to make a high-paid career in business administration? Well, if yes, then mate, we have got you something amazing to do!   We all imagine an effortless future with a cozy house and a laptop. Well, well! You can make this happen. Today, with this guide, we will be exploring some of the top-notch online MBA universities and institutes in the USA. Let’s get started! Why learn Online MBA from the USA? Access to More Options This online era has given a second chance to children who want to reflect on their careers while managing their hectic schedules. In this, the internet has played a very crucial in rejuvenating schools, institutes, and colleges to give the best education to students across the globe. Graduating with Less Debt Regular classes from high reputed institutes often charge heavy tuition fees. However onl

Sickening moment maskless 'Karen' COUGHS in the face of grocery store customer, then claims she doesn't have to wear a mask because she 'isn't sick'

A woman was captured on camera following a customer through a supermarket as she coughs on her after claiming she does not need a mask because she is not sick.  Video of the incident, which has garnered hundreds of thousands of views on Twitter alone, allegedly took place in a Su per Saver in Lincoln, Nebraska according to Twitter user @davenewworld_2. In it, an unidentified woman was captured dramatically coughing as she smiles saying 'Excuse me! I'm coming through' in the direction of the customer recording her. Scroll down for video An unidentified woman was captured dramatically coughing as she smiles saying 'Excuse me! I'm coming through' in the direction of a woman recording her A woman was captured on camera following a customer as she coughs on her in a supermarket without a mask on claiming she does not need one because she is not sick @chaiteabugz #karen #covid #karens #karensgonewild #karensalert #masks we were just wearing a mask at the store. ¿ o