Skip to main content

Bali death row Briton's plea of 'shoot me now'

The British grandmother facing execution in Bali has given her first interview from death row – defiantly declaring she is ready to die by firing squad.
Speaking from her cell in the notorious Kerobokan prison, Lindsay Sandiford told The Mail on Sunday: ‘I would rather have the death sentence than a life sentence. I don’t want to get old and decrepit in here .  .  . at least a bullet is quick.’
The 56-year-old’s extraordinary plea came after her appeal against  her sentence was rejected on Monday,  a decision which has been roundly condemned as ‘bizarre and unjust’.
Drugs mule Sandiford was arrested last May after flying to Bali from Bangkok carrying 10.6lb of cocaine, worth £1.6 million.

Scroll down for video

sandiford
While Sandiford was sentenced to death in January, three other Britons who were said to have organised the shipment, were jailed only for up to six years
In the interview – conducted through intermediaries at the prison – she said: ‘I’ve got arthritis now. What will I be like in ten years’ time when I can’t walk?
‘Sometimes I think, “Let them get on with it.” I have had a lot of fun in my life. I’ve been to a lot of places, done a lot of things and I’ve met a lot of interesting people.
‘I’ve got no regrets. I could be dying of cancer or something horrible and prolonged.’
After her arrest Sandiford co-operated with police in a sting operation that led to the capture of the conspiracy’s alleged ringleaders.
But while she was sentenced to death in January, three other Britons – Julian Ponder, 43, Paul Beale, 40, and Ponder’s partner Rachel Dougall, 38 – who were said to have organised the shipment, were jailed only for up to six years.
Trafficking charges against Ponder and Beale were dropped and they were sentenced to six and four years respectively for possession of drugs, while Dougall is due to walk free next month after a one-year term for failing to report a crime.
Sandiford
The High Court ruling cites as a reason for upholding the death penalty the fact that Sandiford was involved in an international drug smuggling operation with other expatriates
Sandiford’s appeal to Bali’s High Court against her sentence was rejected despite written pleas from the Foreign Office and former Director of Public Prosecutions Lord Macdonald, who described the discrepancies in sentencing as ‘unfathomable’.
In a bizarre twist, just days after the ruling, the original trial judge was found dead from a suspected heart attack. Amser Simanjuntak, 55, was said to have collapsed at his home as he prepared to go to work on Friday.
Sandiford, who is originally from Redcar, Teesside, passes her time on death row – where sweltering temperatures reach 95F – knitting jumpers for friends and family back home. And despite the crushing High Court rejection, she says she doesn’t want any sympathy.
‘What I did was wrong and I should be punished for it,’ she said. ‘But I cooperated with the police, and I should get the lowest sentence. Legally, morally – any way you look at it, it is just wrong.
‘When I cooperated with the police, they told me I was going into witness protection and that Interpol would look after my boys. They just lied to me.
‘Telling the truth doesn’t help here because you just get the death penalty. I helped the Indonesian police. The next person who gets caught isn’t going to say anything.’
sandiford
Dr Fadillah Agus, Sandiford's lawyer, holds the papers showing Bali High Court's decision about the death penalty outside Kerobokan prison, Bali
Ironically, the High Court ruling cites as a reason for upholding the death penalty the fact that Sandiford was involved in an international drug smuggling operation with other expatriates – yet it makes no mention of the light sentences given to her co-conspirators.
And shockingly, Sandiford’s family in Britain learnt of the rejection  of her appeal on television news in the UK before she or her lawyer knew, thanks to the decision being leaked by court officials to local journalists.
‘The whole world knew before I knew,’ she said. ‘I got a message from my son Eliot saying, “They are all b******s.” I replied, “What are you on about, son?” and he said, “Haven’t your heard mum?”
‘When I spoke to him, he was crying his heart out and my family was distraught. It was all over the morning news in the UK but no one had thought to tell me.’
Later on Monday, Sandiford was sent a brutally frank text message from the British embassy’s local representative in Bali that read: ‘I have to bring bad news. Your appeal has been refused by the Bali High Court. They confirmed it when I made a call to them this afternoon. FYI, it’s all over the news.’
The lonely scene inside the cell where Sandiford received the message was in stark contrast to the chaotic January day when the judge handed down the death sentence.
Recalling the day, she described how those around her appeared to be more upset and shocked than she was. ‘The judge read out the decision in Indonesian and my translator didn’t tell me what the sentence was. I thought I had got 15 years [the prosecution’s recommendation],’ she said.
sandiford
Sandiford believes the reason her co-accused received reduced charges and light sentences was that they paid money to officials through their lawyers
‘There were newspaper reports afterwards saying that I cried and that I shouted “no, no, no” when the sentence was delivered. In fact, it was the prosecutor who was crying and it was my sister Hilary who shouted out. As I went out of the court, the prosecutor had his arm around me and he was pushing reporters away and he kept saying, “I’m so sorry.” It was a BBC reporter who told me I had the death penalty.
‘I just thought, “Oh bloody hell. Have I really got death?” It was only later on that I thought, “How did that happen?” ’
In the days that followed, Sandiford was prescribed Valium and sleeping pills by the prison doctor at Kerobokan.
‘What I couldn’t stand was the look on people’s faces,’ she said. ‘Nobody could look at me and no one knew what to say to me.
‘I wanted someone to make a  joke. That’s what I really wanted. But people had no idea what to  say or they say completely the wrong thing.’
Sandiford initially decided she would not appeal against her sentence, saying she could not face appearing in court again. She eventually agreed to appeal after her family pleaded with her.
‘The court is like a circus. It’s ritual humiliation. I really did not want to appeal. I explained to my son and he said, “Please Mum don’t do that.” After we talked he said, “I want you to appeal but I’ll support you whatever you think is best.” ’
sandiford
Sandiford has maintained since her arrest that she agreed to carry the cocaine to Bali only after her sons' lives were threatened by the drugs gang

Popular posts from this blog

Study Abroad USA, College of Charleston, Popular Courses, Alumni

Thinking for Study Abroad USA. School of Charleston, the wonderful grounds is situated in the actual middle of a verifiable city - Charleston. Get snatched up by the wonderful and customary engineering, beautiful pathways, or look at the advanced steel and glass building which houses the School of Business. The grounds additionally gives students simple admittance to a few major tech organizations like Amazon's CreateSpace, Google, TwitPic, and so on. The school offers students nearby as well as off-grounds convenience going from completely outfitted home lobbies to memorable homes. It is prepared to offer different types of assistance and facilities like clubs, associations, sporting exercises, support administrations, etc. To put it plainly, the school grounds is rising with energy and there will never be a dull second for students at the College of Charleston. Concentrate on Abroad USA is improving and remunerating for your future. The energetic grounds likewise houses various

Best MBA Online Colleges in the USA

“Opportunities never open, instead we create them for us”. Beginning with this amazing saying, let’s unbox today’s knowledge. Love Business and marketing? Want to make a high-paid career in business administration? Well, if yes, then mate, we have got you something amazing to do!   We all imagine an effortless future with a cozy house and a laptop. Well, well! You can make this happen. Today, with this guide, we will be exploring some of the top-notch online MBA universities and institutes in the USA. Let’s get started! Why learn Online MBA from the USA? Access to More Options This online era has given a second chance to children who want to reflect on their careers while managing their hectic schedules. In this, the internet has played a very crucial in rejuvenating schools, institutes, and colleges to give the best education to students across the globe. Graduating with Less Debt Regular classes from high reputed institutes often charge heavy tuition fees. However onl

Sickening moment maskless 'Karen' COUGHS in the face of grocery store customer, then claims she doesn't have to wear a mask because she 'isn't sick'

A woman was captured on camera following a customer through a supermarket as she coughs on her after claiming she does not need a mask because she is not sick.  Video of the incident, which has garnered hundreds of thousands of views on Twitter alone, allegedly took place in a Su per Saver in Lincoln, Nebraska according to Twitter user @davenewworld_2. In it, an unidentified woman was captured dramatically coughing as she smiles saying 'Excuse me! I'm coming through' in the direction of the customer recording her. Scroll down for video An unidentified woman was captured dramatically coughing as she smiles saying 'Excuse me! I'm coming through' in the direction of a woman recording her A woman was captured on camera following a customer as she coughs on her in a supermarket without a mask on claiming she does not need one because she is not sick @chaiteabugz #karen #covid #karens #karensgonewild #karensalert #masks we were just wearing a mask at the store. ¿ o