Skip to main content

Back on the pitch, the hockey player paralysed by rare nerve condition



A student who was left paralysed by a rare nerve condition has made an incredible recovery and is now able play her favourite sport again.


Nicola Muir, 23, was captain of her university hockey squad when she was struck down with Guillain-Barre syndrome in 2009.


Within days, she was bedridden and totally unable to move her legs.


Doctors told her it was unlikely she would ever recover well enough to be able to play sport again.



Nicola Muir, 23, was captain of her university hockey squad when she was struck down with Guillain-Barre syndrome

However, Ms Muir, from Portsmouth, Hampshire, has not only learned to walk again - she is now running around the hockey pitch again.


She said: ‘Hockey has been my passion since I started secondary school, and I was devastated when I thought I would never be able to play again.


More...
The 70m-to-1 quads: IVF mother's double set of identical twins defy the odds
'Thank you': The simple but powerful message from boy, 7, who is on his way to the U.S. for life-saving cancer treatment after raising £270,000 in just one week

‘I spent most of my spare time playing, and my social life revolved around nights out and trips away with the team too.


‘When I was discharged from hospital, I was in a wheelchair, and I had to learn to walk all over again.


‘I am a determined person, and I thought if I can learn to walk again, I can run.




She started to feel unwell after returning from a holiday with her hockey team. She is pictured just weeks before she was admitted to hospital

‘It's taken a long time, and it's been a very difficult journey. I was very out of breath and unfit after my first practise, but it's come back to me so naturally.'


Ms Muir was studying photography at Portsmouth University when she was struck down with Guillain-Barre syndrome during the summer holidays.


GUILLAIN-BARRE SYNDROME: A CONDITION THAT ONE IN FIVE NEVER RECOVER FROM



Guillain-Barre syndrome is an autoimmune disease which affects just one in 50,000 people in the UK.


Symptoms, including pain, tingling and numbness, begin in the feet and hands and move into the arms and legs.


It can also cause muscle weakness, co-ordination problems, paralysis and even death.


The exact cause is not known, but most people develop the syndrome after a viral or bacterial infection.


It attacks the peripheral nervous system - the network of nerves outside the central nervous system, including the motor nerves, used by the brain to control muscles.


Around 20 per cent of people never recover fully from the syndrome.

The condition occurs when the body's immune system attacks part of the nervous system.


It is not known exactly what causes it but about 60 per cent of cases develop after a viral or bacterial infection.


It is thought that the infection may trigger the immune system to attack nerve roots and peripheral nerves.


About 80 per cent of sufferers make a full recovery but 20 per cent are left with problems such as an inability to walk, loss of co-ordination and loss of balance.


After a week away with her hockey team, Ms Muir began suffering flu-like symptoms, and getting pins and needles in her feet - but put it down to over exerting herself on holiday.


But more than a week on, her symptoms had continued to worsen and doctors thought she had swine flu.


Ms Muir said: ‘I had come back from holiday feeling really rough, and I thought I'd just over-done it.


‘But after a week, my symptoms were getting worse, and I felt terrible.


‘My GP told me he thought I had swine flu, and I was given Tamiflu, but a few days later, I got up in the night and my legs just gave way under me.


‘My mum had to pick me up and carry me to the bathroom, but the doctors refused to come out and see me because they said I was infectious.


‘My symptoms carried on getting worse, and my legs just couldn't support my own weight.




Doctors initially thought that Ms Muir had swine flu and said that she should be put in isolation as she was infectious





She was eventually diagnosed with Guillain-Barre syndrome when she lost the use of her legs and struggled to move her arms

‘Eventually, a doctor did agree to see me. He arrived wearing a face mask and protective clothing - but he soon realised I probably had something more serious than swine flu.’


Ms Muir was taken to hospital by ambulance but was not allowed in for more than an hour as they thought she was infectious and had to prepare an isolation ward.


Within a few days of being in the hospital her breathing had become weak, she was struggling to move her arms and she couldn’t move her legs at all.




When she was discharged from hospital she needed a wheelchair and had to have months of physiotherapy and rehabilitation

At this point she was finally diagnosed with Guillain-Barre syndrome and she spent a month paralysed in hospital.


Ms Muir said: ‘When I tried to lift a glass of water to my lips, I'd just throw it in my face - I had no control over my limbs and it was really frightening.


‘I was told that some people never fully recover, and there was a chance I would never walk again.


‘Fortunately, I began to recover some movement in my legs just a few weeks after my treatment started.



Ms Muir says that her hockey coach (pictured) and all of her team mates were very supportive when she was ill






She has now made a full recovery and is back on the hockey pitch as well as working as a professional photographer


‘I was warned that although I would probably walk again, I may never recover enough strength to be able to play sport.


‘I was absolutely devastated. Playing sport is who I am, and I was determined I wasn't going to be beaten.’


After leaving hospital, Ms Muir was admitted to a rehabilitation unit, where she began daily physiotherapy.

For six months she had to visit the hospital regularly for follow-up treatment.




Just a year after being hospitalised, Ms Muir graduated with first class honours in photography





Lucky: One in five people never fully recover from Guillain-Barre syndrome

She returned to university that autumn using a wheelchair, and slowly relied on it less and less.

However, it was 18 months before she could do away with the chair altogether.


Just a year after being struck down with the illness, she graduated with first class honours - and has since started work as a professional photographer.
She added: ‘I learned to walk slowly within a few months, but it has taken a really long time and a long of physiotherapy to get me back to my old self.

Popular posts from this blog

Study Abroad USA, College of Charleston, Popular Courses, Alumni

Thinking for Study Abroad USA. School of Charleston, the wonderful grounds is situated in the actual middle of a verifiable city - Charleston. Get snatched up by the wonderful and customary engineering, beautiful pathways, or look at the advanced steel and glass building which houses the School of Business. The grounds additionally gives students simple admittance to a few major tech organizations like Amazon's CreateSpace, Google, TwitPic, and so on. The school offers students nearby as well as off-grounds convenience going from completely outfitted home lobbies to memorable homes. It is prepared to offer different types of assistance and facilities like clubs, associations, sporting exercises, support administrations, etc. To put it plainly, the school grounds is rising with energy and there will never be a dull second for students at the College of Charleston. Concentrate on Abroad USA is improving and remunerating for your future. The energetic grounds likewise houses various

Best MBA Online Colleges in the USA

“Opportunities never open, instead we create them for us”. Beginning with this amazing saying, let’s unbox today’s knowledge. Love Business and marketing? Want to make a high-paid career in business administration? Well, if yes, then mate, we have got you something amazing to do!   We all imagine an effortless future with a cozy house and a laptop. Well, well! You can make this happen. Today, with this guide, we will be exploring some of the top-notch online MBA universities and institutes in the USA. Let’s get started! Why learn Online MBA from the USA? Access to More Options This online era has given a second chance to children who want to reflect on their careers while managing their hectic schedules. In this, the internet has played a very crucial in rejuvenating schools, institutes, and colleges to give the best education to students across the globe. Graduating with Less Debt Regular classes from high reputed institutes often charge heavy tuition fees. However onl

Sickening moment maskless 'Karen' COUGHS in the face of grocery store customer, then claims she doesn't have to wear a mask because she 'isn't sick'

A woman was captured on camera following a customer through a supermarket as she coughs on her after claiming she does not need a mask because she is not sick.  Video of the incident, which has garnered hundreds of thousands of views on Twitter alone, allegedly took place in a Su per Saver in Lincoln, Nebraska according to Twitter user @davenewworld_2. In it, an unidentified woman was captured dramatically coughing as she smiles saying 'Excuse me! I'm coming through' in the direction of the customer recording her. Scroll down for video An unidentified woman was captured dramatically coughing as she smiles saying 'Excuse me! I'm coming through' in the direction of a woman recording her A woman was captured on camera following a customer as she coughs on her in a supermarket without a mask on claiming she does not need one because she is not sick @chaiteabugz #karen #covid #karens #karensgonewild #karensalert #masks we were just wearing a mask at the store. ¿ o